Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Bulgarianlily

Wiring up a fan

Help please? I have a 22 cm case fan that I want to wire up to a battery and solar panel to draw some hot air out of the house. it says.. 12 v, 600 rpm, 95.63 CFM, what sort of panel and battery should I buy? I plan to build a box outside for it to live in, the panel will be about 4 meters away.
RichardW

From that info I cant help. Need either a watts or amps value & voltage to calc specs.
Bulgarianlily

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fans&type_sub=LED&model=AK-F2230SM-CB

It doesn't seem to say anything more about itself. I will try and ask them.
Bulgarianlily

Wow, good customer service...

The fan uses 0.28A of current.
RichardW

Right ho

12v 0.28amps = 3.36watts

If running 24 / 7 thats 80wh (thats 80 watt hours)

If you want summer only then you have about 8 hours to get the full days power so need about 10 watts of solar.

If you want this to work year round you need to recharge that in one hours worth of sun (Winter) so need an 80 watt panel.

If using for less than 24 7 then adjust the needed watts by the same fraction.

Any bat of over 40ah will be large enough as that will give you 3 days power with no recharge.

With the 10 watt solar you wont need a controller but def do with the 80 watts.
Bulgarianlily

Thankyou! I think that is quite clear and that I understand that.

Out of interest, do the figures change much for being in a hotter sunnier climate than the UK? We very rarely have a grey sky here.

Do I have to use a leisure battery for this? I have any number of car batteries, including two big gel ones that came out of the jeep.
RichardW

If we are talking year round then how many day light hours & do you still get bright / direct sun?

If you do then you could cut the size of the winter panel down a bit. Also the summer only one if you get more than 12 hours of daylight & more than 4-6 of full direct sun.

If you have some bats already I would use them first. As your loads are small a car one will cope but prob just not last as long but as you have them already you have nothing to loose.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home