Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
boisdevie1

Wood burner flue out through wall?

I'm going to install a woodburner but rather than have the flue pass through the roof could I not have the flue go vertical and take a bend and pass out through the top of the wall and then another bend to straighten it up so the flue exits parallel to the wall. That way I don't have to pierce the roof and pay for a cowl and can still profit by all that heat coming off the flue pipe before it exits the room?
Nick

That's exactly what ours does, so that we didn't have to run it through the bedroom and the expensive roof.
Tavascarow

If you put bends in don't use right angles but 45 degrees.
Right angles act as a trap for soot & tar & restrict the smoke flow somewhat.
I know through experience.
dpack

iirc it will need a inner flue and outer pipe to protect the wall from thermal shocks (and to keep the flue gasses warm to get a good draft).a stove supplier should be able to advise and provide suitable parts.

remember a rodding point to give access to the bends and riser just in case the rods are too stiff to make the turns from the burner end.
Slim

iirc it will need a inner flue and outer pipe to protect the wall from thermal shocks (and to keep the flue gasses warm to get a good draft).a stove supplier should be able to advise and provide suitable parts.

AKA a double-wall or twin-wall flue I believe.
wellington womble

Which will cost about twice as much as the wood burner...
Nick

Which will cost about twice as much as the wood burner...

The pipe work is not cheap, it's true.
onemanband

A cowl (do you mean flashing ?) costs approx the same, if not less, than an insulated flue 45' bend. You will need 2 bends, but only one flashing.

IIRC it is advisable to have the bends for a flue to pass through an external wall, as close to the burner as possible.
joanne

As you are in Lancaster, speak to Fraser Smalley

https://www.facebook.com/sendforFraser/

He installed my liners for me but he's very friendly and open to giving advice for self-installation

If you are looking for prices, he recommended this site for all the liners and cowls

http://www.fluesupplies.com/
Ty Gwyn

Like Onemanband states,directly through the external wall behind the burner,but what I`ve seen have been a 90 degree bend with a water trap,also used for sweeping the external flue,

With the twin wall flue pipe,its insulated between both wall`s and doesn't omit heat to benefit it being inside.

Flue Supplies.com I can also recommend for price and quality,pointed out to me by ?the lady from Montgomery with the white dog on avater.
Jam Lady

Our wood burning stove has a straight run of about 18 feet / 6 meters and then out the roof. It was installed in the (pre-existing) house the year after we moved here. The twin wall chimney pipe has an air gap between the two, with slits at the bottom of each outer section. This provides additional heated air for the upper story of our open plan house. Maybe twice a year in heavy rain when the wind is strong and from a certain direction do we get a little water leaking from above. Otherwise we appreciate that we are getting maximum heating from the wood we burn. And there is not that much creosote when the chimney is cleaned every year because we're careful to only burn well seasoned wood.

And a good place to display an appropriate piece of art

boisdevie1

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Much appreciated.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home