Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
kyoto

Wood or Field Blewits (or something else) ?

Just picked these this afternoon growing in a group on a grassy common. They look like Field Blewits but can anyone else confirm ? Also are there any dangerous look-alikes of which we should be aware ?

PeteS

Hi,

The mushroom in the second photo certainly looks like a Field Blewit (Lepista saeva) to me. However, I can't be sure what the mushrooms are in the third photo. Lets see what others say.
kyoto

Here are two more shots of the same find. It's interesting how the lighting in the 3rd shot of my original posting made them look more purple.

PeteS

I would now say that they are Field Blewits (Lepista saeva). You make a good point about the light in the photo and this does show how photos can mislead.
dpack

yep unless better folk correct me
very tasty
not easy to mistake for anything really horrid
the violet tinge to the stem is a strong hint as is the gill structure
fried ,pied or raw pretty good food
when you get to know all the shapes and colours and textures they can grow as id by gill shape is un needed
they are quite different to look at when young or old ,wet or dry but the smell and taste are constant
one of my favourites
dpack

ps the snaps are fine ,cut one in half through the cap and stem can help id from photo
and where is this patch ? Laughing
bingo

Na, don't eat them.

I've never found money growing in mushrooms.
dpack

bingo wrote:
Na, don't eat them.

I've never found money growing in mushrooms.

cheeky
kyoto

Had these for dinner cooked the usual way : fried in half olive oil, half butter & garlic. Very strong, aromatic flavour although they seemed to release quite a bit of liquid on cooking.
Tasty all the same!

We also picked a few large parasols today ... seems that the season is not over yet Very Happy

Thanks for the replies Pete & Dpack
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home