Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
quixoticgeek

Woody Thyme

I have a thyme plant that has gone rather woody, does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get this back into a compact bush with plenty of green on it?

Cheers

J
Chez

I think you just earth them up, don't you? ie, bury the woody bit and it regenerates.
dpack

prune ,if you cut half back the first go and once that has re grown do the same to the second half you should end up with a "new wood" bush on a mature root system.

same sort of thing applies to lavender and other woody stemmed herbs
quixoticgeek

prune ,if you cut half back the first go and once that has re grown do the same to the second half you should end up with a "new wood" bush on a mature root system.

same sort of thing applies to lavender and other woody stemmed herbs

Excellent, is it ok to do so at this time of year? I have a rosemary bush in the same planter that is getting quite big, perhaps I can do both at once.

J
dpack

yep and yep

as a bonus any soft bits that get trimmed are tasty or might root in a sandy compost with a plastic bag to keep em moist for the first week or so .
chickenlady

I think you can prune back to woody stems (in summer) with English lavender - but not with French lavender. If you hard prune French lavender you'll kill it.

With thyme - I dug the whole thing up and reburied it almost completely in a deeper hole.
dpack

im fairly sure all the lavenders i have maintained are english ones.
OtleyLad

All the woody cuttings make nice kebab sticks too.
Andrea

What's the difference between a French and an English lavender then?
sueshells

French has a different shaped flower and also generally has a wider, softer leaf. It's also less hardy.
Andrea

Thankyou. Guessing mine is Portuguese lavender Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home