Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
RichardW

Woohoo & June results

WooHoo.

Our solar hit over 2kwh for the first time today. Has done 2.2kwh (175ah) today. Previous best was 1.9kwh which it has done a few times this month. If your grid connected thats about 30p worth but off grid is worth a fortune lol. Once it gets to 3kwh per day we are 100% solar powered.

Panel array is 800w

In contrast the wind has done 60ah this month (560ah this year).

Richard
woodsprite

How very satisfying for you Richard, well done. Very Happy
One of the many regrets that I have about not owning our own home is that we will never be able to be off grid. Ironic as my hubby installs solar alongside the woodburners and wood pellet boilers. Sad
RichardW

Yeh its a good feeling.

Do a low level install in the garden. Then simple pipe runs to connect to the existing system so it can be removed if needed. Or seek permission from the landlord.

Richard
ksia

That's great.

Do you mind me asking how much your solar set-up cost?
RichardW

10 x 80w panels £2.3k inc del
1 x 80 amp Outback FX80 controller £450
wire, crimps, fuses, about £100
shunts, meters, disconnects about £300
inverter charger (3000w 120amps) £1.2k
battery bank (1550ah @ 5C) £228 (used)
back up / winter / power tool (inc being able to run the welder) genny £2.4k
wind turbine (200w) £260

Aprox £7300

So not cheep & at 15p per unit would take a long time to pay back if grid connected, but it would have cost us over £12k to get connected.

Richard
ksia

Very full answer - ta.

Something to think about .....
RichardW

Dep on your latitued you should get much more power per watt of panel than me. My install site is far from ideal as its not south facing, the panel in not inclined nearly enough & we have shade for part of the day. I would estimate a 30-40% increase in power if sited better.

Do you know what your solar iradiance is for your latitude for each month? If you do I can esitmate the likely numbers.

Richard
Lorrainelovesplants

very interested in your breakdown for solar - it was something we thought about, but it was the cost that put us off.
OH is thinking up some Heath Robinson type 'solar invention' that may or may not Rolling Eyes include black painted radiators.......
RichardW

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
very interested in your breakdown for solar - it was something we thought about, but it was the cost that put us off.
OH is thinking up some Heath Robinson type 'solar invention' that may or may not Rolling Eyes include black painted radiators.......

Thats solar thermal which is a completely different ball game.

Black rads & other home brew panels work well for 2 season of the year but not year round. Pukka round tubes are getting quite cheap now & they give much better year round performance.

Richard
ksia

RichardW wrote:

Do you know what your solar iradiance is for your latitude for each month? If you do I can esitmate the likely numbers.

Richard

Ta again.

Is there some way I can easily know my solar iradiance? Like a knowyoursolirad.com or something?
towerhill

RichardW wrote:
Is there some way I can easily know my solar iradiance? Like a knowyoursolirad.com or something?

This may be able to help...

http://www.stella-maris.org.uk/maxsolar2.php
RichardW

Yep there is one HERE

Set the location & choose the months one by one.

If you click on PV estimate you can set the size of the array & get an estimate of the likely power produced.

Richard
ksia

Thanks towerhill and RichardW. May you receive plenty of this:

RichardW

Woohoooo

Hit 3kwh today
Northern_Lad

Re: Woohoooo

RichardW wrote:
Hit 3kwh today

Tasty.
vegplot

Re: Woohoooo

RichardW wrote:
Hit 3kwh today

That's a fraction under our average daily usage. A good result.
RichardW

3kwh is about what we use most days but you also need to add in the battery charging & inverter losses. So I would need about 3.6kwh to cover it all.

Richard
RichardW

Land mark day today

I would like you all to raise a glass Wine & join me in a toast to my solar panels.

We use 3kwh per day. About 2kwh during the day for fridge, freezer & laptops etc & about 1kwh at night for tv & lights.

Today we made 3.6kwh so the 2kwh day usage was covered but also the night 1kwh & the charging losses were also covered so today was are first truly totally off grid day WOOHOO
towerhill

Well done. Another thing on my to do list.
Treacodactyl

Congratulations, and luckily I've just filled my glass. Laughing

As we're almost at the longest day is this about as much as you expect to get or do you think you'll get a bit more into July due to better weather?
RichardW

We should get slightly more later this & next month & poss Aug too. On the 1st I removed the main morning shade problem & on the 14th I did the same for the pm shade. We still get shade AM & PM but for the prime 9-4 slot we dont get any.

We sized the system so that in summer we would not be wasting to much power but that does mean in winter you dont make enough. That said we are just about to increase the size by 50% as that will reduce the "pay back" time even though we will have spent more.

Richard
Treacodactyl

What will you do with the surplus power?
RichardW

It will go towards the days that dont produce as well. Plus it will also help reduce the days that I run the genny to power the power tools whilst working. All my tool apart from the welder (which would up to about 100amps weld current so ok for thinner stuff) will work on the inverter if needed.
Penny Outskirts

Wine

That's excellent Richard. Does that mean you'll be closer to total off-grid in the winter too?
RichardW

Penny wrote:
Wine

That's excellent Richard. Does that mean you'll be closer to total off-grid in the winter too?

Not even close.

Dec produced less than 1/2 of one days power all month & Jan produced just under one days power all month.

You get 4-6 times more power in summer than winter. You could be 100% solar IF you can afford it but then in summer you will be making far to much power. Its about finding a happy medium. I am trying to balance the lack of solar with wind turbine but our site realy is not any good for wind unless I put a very tall tower up that currently (hopping for changes in rules soon) would need planning.

Richard
Bodger

You can come for a round of toast here Richard, going by the weather and the forecast, you're going to get BA today. Very Happy
RichardW

I know its very overcast today.
RichardW

bodger wrote:
you're going to get BA today. Very Happy

Got slightly more than BA in the end.

Only 0.9kwh but every little helps.
resistance is fertile

RichardW wrote:
Its about finding a happy medium. I am trying to balance the lack of solar with wind turbine but our site realy is not any good for wind unless I put a very tall tower up that currently (hopping for changes in rules soon) would need planning.

Richard

Richard, are you aware that if you mount the base of your pole on a small trailer you need no planning permission?
RichardW

Yes but cant see a small trailer holding a 10m plus pole. Would have to weigh a few ton's.

Did consider mounting it to the side of the tractor we use to split logs.
resistance is fertile

There is nothing to stop the trailer having wind down feet at each corner and the pole having guy ropes with detatchable shackles.
RichardW

resistance is fertile wrote:
There is nothing to stop the trailer having wind down feet at each corner and the pole having guy ropes with detatchable shackles.

HeHe

I like your style.

I was thinking of lattice towers or even self braced ones where the guys go out from the top to braces back to the pole & then down to the bottom of the pole & highly tensioned.

Sort of like this but up & down not sideways

-<>-
Nick

Is mounting such a device on top of a tree at all possible? Clearly, they've got the height, don't need planning and have spent years surviving the wind. It may not be for you, Richard, (cos you might not have an exposed tree), but as a general point? Clearly, not a massive one, but potentially it'd be cheap to install several small 'propellors', because the height's paid for.
resistance is fertile

The main problem, Nick, is the effect even exposed trees have on wind patterns which make typical wind turbines less effective.

Eddies and swirls and the movement of the tree itself all reduce efficiency.
RichardW

Quite happy today.

We have just managed to further reduce our electrical consumption. Did need to spend some money to do so but it still made sense.

Old TV, digi box & DVD combo used 160w & we have them on for 6 hours per day MAX. So used .96kwh per day.

New TV with DVD & digi box built in uses less than 65w so only 0.39kwh per day max.

That small reduction will reduce our red diesel use by £140 per year so it will have saved its cost in 1 year & 6 months & 25 days.

Richard
Penny Outskirts

That's quite a saving Shocked It really does show how the little things make such a difference.
RichardW

Penny wrote:
That's quite a saving Shocked It really does show how the little things make such a difference.

Yeh but on mains it would not save any where near as much (about £25 per year on grid power). You have to remember that genny power is very costly. Its also why my solar install will "pay back" quickly but for grid connected it would not.
Nick

resistance is fertile wrote:
The main problem, Nick, is the effect even exposed trees have on wind patterns which make typical wind turbines less effective.

Eddies and swirls and the movement of the tree itself all reduce efficiency.

Yeah, I can see that, but might the price saved on the towers make it considerable, especially with multiple installations? Just idle curiosity.
RichardW

I guess if you are talking a single exposed tree it should work ok. But for a woodland install with a tree canopy you still need to get at least 6m above the highest tree in the wood to get into cleaner airflow. Treat the tree top as a false ground level.

Out next targets for power saving are the fridge & freezer but savings are smaller & more costly as we already have new ish ones with low ish consumption.

Will have to look at supper insulating the freezer.
Penny Outskirts

RichardW wrote:
Will have to look at supper insulating the freezer.

So would that be wrapping the dead sheep round it then?
RichardW

Well the skinned fleece bit any way.
Nick

Certain bits need airflow, and other bits are needed for access, but simple measures like discarded polystyrene as added insulation should help, even on the more modern ones, I guess.
RichardW

Here are June's results

1st of June I removed the am shade
14th June pm shade
25th June increased array by 400w to 1200w

Code:
   day      amph   kwh   volts peak   kwp   amp peak
   30-Jun      282   3.8   102          0.9   66.3
   29-Jun      295   4    102          0.92   68.8
   28-Jun      296   4    103          0.87   61.3
   27-Jun      270   3.6   107          1.03   79.8
   26-Jun      270   3.6   107          1.03   79.8
   25-Jun      135   1.7   103          0.82   57.2 extra 400w
   24-Jun      273   3.7   108          0.59   43.3
   23-Jun      302   4.1   107          0.53   39.7
   22-Jun      282   3.5   106          0.74   57.9
   21-Jun      268   3.4   106          0.66   51.6
   20-Jun      59   0.7   107          0.17   13.8
   19-Jun      127   1.6   110          0.83   62.9
   18-Jun      194   2.5   110          0.83   65.5
   17-Jun      164   2   113          0.71   56.5
   16-Jun      66   0.8   105          0.64   49.7
   15-Jun      279   3.6   109          0.72   55.8
      14-Jun      234   3    108          0.7   54.8 PM shade removed
   13-Jun      155   2.1   112          0.69   49.2
   12-Jun      179   2.2   106          0.69   54.9
   11-Jun      67   0.8   102          0.18   14.9
   10-Jun      237   3   109          0.56   42.9
   09-Jun      93   1.1   109          0.52   40.2
   08-Jun      101   1.3   111          0.54   42.7
   07-Jun      121   1.5   111          0.55   43.6
   06-Jun      87   1    110          0.35   27.7
   05-Jun      28   0.3   108          0.09   7.9
   04-Jun      190   2.4   111          0.59   45.9
   03-Jun      234   2.9   107          0.51   39.7
   02-Jun      215   2.7   108          0.5   38.4
   01-Jun      234   3    105          0.47   36.2 AM shade removed

TOTAL   ah 5737   kwh 73.9
      AV/day   ah 191.23   kwh 2.46   

Wind did 1ah total all month

The genny was on for 33 hours most of which was for running power tools (but would also be topping up the bats at the same time)

With our new reductions we are using less than 2kwh per day so on average we are just making what we need once system losses are accounted for. More importantly we would have only needed to run the genny for the bats twice for about 4 hours each time between 5th & 11th due to having to many low performance days in a row.

Richard
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home