Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Cathryn

Wool insulation

I know that this has come up before but has anyone on here used this to insulate their loft? I was talking to a friend who was trying to convince me that it would be a good long term investment in that the house will be passed onto the next generation. I'd love to be convinced but the cost is high and how long does it actually last?
maynard

A plea from the heart.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

I have treated two properties that used it. They had to strip their converted properties back to bare bones because of moths. The infestation was so bad that the buildings had to be stripped right back to the basic timbers.

Insurance doesn't cover it because it is classed as pest damage and the manufacturers squirm like mad to get off the hook, even to the extent of going bust and starting up again.

Without Prejudice I suggest you look here;

http://www.thermafleece.com/

and then walk the other way.....

pm me if you need more info, including getting in touch with loads of people affected.
Cathryn

Really. Thank you.
Ty Gwyn

Surely it would be fine if you Dipped it once a year,lol.
RichardW

Surely it would be fine if you Dipped it once a year,lol.

Have you seen how close to the sea her house is? I think it might get dipped more often than that.
Nick

If the loft is getting an annual sea dip, I'm not sure the flavour of insulation is the major issue. Smile
VM

I have no direct experience but have heard of moths as being an issue. There are other eco-friendly insulating materials that don't get moths.
madcat

Oh dear, when we had ours done on some sort of scheme it was sheep wool. We were told it was treated against pests.

Not seen any moths yet but will have to look out. I keep all my fleece stuff in poly cotton pillowcases .

We used to treat the house to keep cat fleas down but now we have no cats we don't . I don't fancy spraying the loft !
vegplot

A plea from the heart.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.

I have treated two properties that used it. They had to strip their converted properties back to bare bones because of moths. The infestation was so bad that the buildings had to be stripped right back to the basic timbers.

Insurance doesn't cover it because it is classed as pest damage and the manufacturers squirm like mad to get off the hook, even to the extent of going bust and starting up again.

Without Prejudice I suggest you look here;

http://www.thermafleece.com/

and then walk the other way.....

pm me if you need more info, including getting in touch with loads of people affected.

Are you positive the wool used was Thermafleece and not another product that hadn't been treated with borax?
vegplot

I have no direct experience but have heard of moths as being an issue. There are other eco-friendly insulating materials that don't get moths.

You could sourcing from Ty Mawr or consider the hemp alternative.

http://thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-hemp
lowri

My cast-iron bath is up against an outside wall. I stuffed fleeces (in net bags) underneath and round the sides as much as I could (it is boxed in), and it seems to keep the bathwater warmer for longer! I think I bowled moth balls in first! There's no smell of them, anyway. Did it years ago. Smile Piggyphile

My dept used to insulate houses and I was told that wool is ok if you can be sure it is very dry in the loft. As soon as it gets even slightly damp it starts to decompose so not a long term option in most houses. jamanda

Bumped for Chez. Mistress Rose

I spoke to a company that do all the eco stuff, and they assured me that modern wool insulation is safe from moth. I think that until a few places are successful for a long time there is still a slight query over this one though. chez

Thanks, Jamanda.

(We want to insulate a small summer house)
RichardW

As well as the uk suppliers there is also one in Ireland. chez

I was wondering about manufacturing my own. I have access to fleece, hot water, soap-flakes and borax; and helpxers.

Val Grainger, who used to be the Woolly Shepherd, says to spray with Lavender and Neem to prevent insects.
oldish chris

You could sourcing from Ty Mawr or consider the hemp alternative.

http://thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-hemp won't you get infested with Hippies? Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home