Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Cathryn

Wool stuffed pillows and quilts

I was looking at some last week. I'm pretty sure they've been discussed on here before but I can't think what to search. Embarassed

Anyway does anyone own them?

And has anyone made their own? I find myself looking at drum carders or wondering about the cost of getting a lot of fleeces washed and carded on a large scale. I seem to remember that its the spinning part that's (understandably) expensive?
Chez

I have a drum carder you can borrow if you like. Are you skills sharing?
tahir

We've got a quilt and 2 pillows, the quilt appears to be warmer in winter and cooler in summer than a feather one, the sheepy smell went within a couple of hours
Cathryn

I would be stupidly optimistic too expect the sheep smell to leave this house Tahir! Very Happy

Chez I would love to borrow your drum carder. Do you think Ali Bibbster would mind bringing it back for me? I'm not at the skill share this year.
Chez

I am sure she would be fine - it's not that big. Please do remind me though. It may need a new belt, I will check.
Finsky

Ok...you got my brain going now..
...is it matter of making 'sheets' of carded wool..stitching it to 'sandwich' between fabric layers.. and voila!..a quilted 'what ever' piece of material?.. first stitching it all roughly together before covering it all with 'better' fabric and then doing more thorough stiching?!...does this in theory sound right...?
When I was a nipper I used to have this VERY heavy quilt that had all manner of wool waste filling. I loved it! Once you got under it, you were truly 'tucked in' as you couldn't move much for the weight... Laughing
AND..it had PURPLE satin top cover and PURPLE cotton under lining...it was SO BEAUTIFUL! Everybody else in family had pale blue ones.
I would not mind making one ...PURPLE of course!!! Laughing
Cathryn

I think you are thinking in the same way as me but I'm thinking duvets and pillows.

Old Welsh quilts were stuffed with sometimes raw barely washed lumps of fleece.

I'm wondering if fluffed up combed fleece would be better than layers, softer and bouncier. You wouldn't want it to felt at all.
tahir

I'm wondering if fluffed up combed fleece would be better than layers, softer and bouncier. You wouldn't want it to felt at all.

You'd need compartments in the duvet to stop the stuff accumulating at one end
Cathryn

I might start smaller!

Although I suddenly see a market for ye olde traditional made in Wales quilt stuffed with welsh sheep (wool). Laughing
tahir

You'd need compartments in the duvet to stop the stuff accumulating at one end

Or they'll end up like the ones my mum used to make stuffed with raw cotton when we were kids, god they weighed a ton. Shaking to redistribute the fluff was a many handed job
boisdevie1

I might start smaller!

Although I suddenly see a market for ye olde traditional made in Wales quilt stuffed with welsh sheep (wool). Laughing

Depending on price sounds like a lovely idea to me.
Finsky

I think you are thinking in the same way as me but I'm thinking duvets and pillows.

Umm..hmm...the trouble is..I can't see the wool for not felting..for some extent anyway. Perhaps it is me..but I would rather have kind of even thickness for the duvet than lumps.

I'm still thinking..and as my mum is coming for her annual visit tomorrow..I will ask her if she knows/remember how those duvets were made Very Happy Idea Oh, I feel so much better now..there is some purpose for visit after all!!!! (what a horrid daughter I am... Embarassed ) Back to my annual 'spring cleaning'..coffee break over! angel11
Finsky

...another thought...Texel wool would be really good for duvet job...it is naturally VERY bouncy..short stable length and not felting very easily, if at all felting...quite cheap wool to get hold of...even begging some badly sheared fleeces from farmer would do the job..hmmm..
must start asking around where to get good quantity of it..there is plenty of those sheep around...though 'fresh' supply is not available until next year.. scratch
astra

Umm..hmm...the trouble is..I can't see the wool for not felting..for some extent anyway. Perhaps it is me..but I would rather have kind of even thickness for the duvet than lumps.

angel11

We've got Hampshire Downs sheep. their fleece is almost impossible to felt!!!
I've done cot mattresses and cot duvets for all my grandkids. Even after several years of use they really are barely felted even now!
Cathryn

I'd like some of those.

We have a variety of different sheep and still have some texel crosses. Is there some list somewhere of what felts and what doesn't? If there isn't, I know someone who will know.

It's all mixed in now. The shed is full of sheets waiting to go. I am not going to be popular if I start trying to pull out particular ones. Smile Finsky, I'd like to get some over to you, not sure how or even if I can get any out for me.

Next year however...
wellington womble

I think Mochyn had one. I'm not looking at this thread at all. Honest. dpack

we have a wool based mattress but we didnt make it

it seems very comfy and robust

im sure that isnt the answer needed Laughing
astra

I'd like some of those.

We have a variety of different sheep and still have some texel crosses. Is there some list somewhere of what felts and what doesn't? If there isn't, I know someone who will know.

It's all mixed in now. The shed is full of sheets waiting to go. I am not going to be popular if I start trying to pull out particular ones. Smile Finsky, I'd like to get some over to you, not sure how or even if I can get any out for me.

Next year however...
Saw this on line so I lifted it!! Might be helpful

Blueface Leicester and Gotland are easy to felt and give 'classy' attractive results.
Blueface Leicester and Wensleydale crosses produce textured felt.
Corriedale and Merino gives 'solid' felt that can be very fine.
Shetland and Icelandic can produce patterned felt by using the natural colours of the fleece.

Most other fleeces do eventually felt although Down type fleeces are very difficult. Spiral crimps resist felting. The only way to find out which fleece is best is by testing it.

If you want some Hampshire Down fleece to try I think we've got some stashed (as long as the mice haven't found it!). It's clean but unwashed and has a short staple which makes it very bouncy!
Cathryn

Thank you! And while doing further research on the net I found this useful link. Smile

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=38828&start=0
astra

Aaaah!! woollyval. I heard through the grapevine that after having to lose her woolly business through illness she's now is involved in making woolly clouds for sound proofing!! She's a real innovator that woman!!
The "picker" she shows in the link is good...I like that! It would save a lot of carding! I wonder if anyone on here has got such a thing or if one could be made?
Cathryn

It's an unrefined carder isn't it. That sewing machine is rather good as well. astra

Hard to see how the carder thingy works. Another thing to Google!

Wouldn't it be great to have a kind of central community workshop with all the gear in it for anyone who wanted to have a go Smile
Cathryn

I think it's a great idea and we have sort of discussed this in the past. Something to do on a temporary basis maybe? Share the equipment around? We should keep it in mind. Finsky

I went yesterday to Bakewell countryshow..and there was Welsh company's stall for wool filled mattresses, quilts and pillows!!!!! Very Happy
They were all very modern looking things..just as any commercial quilts etc. just that the filling was wool of some sort.

Anyhow..mum is here and we just had woolly conversation.. Laughing Those quilts that we had when I was kid, they were bought in 50's so they were 'commercial'. But they did have wool inner layer made of waste wool and shredded fabric...wool acting as 'binder' keeping the filling together. All carded as one big sheet and stitched through the fabric layers to keep it in place.
So according to my mother...the way I made of my thinking of carding wool into sheets, she thinks is quite similar to those old duvets..though layer of two sheets of carded wool and each layer facing different direction would be even better.
I was also thinking of making narrower 'strips'..of this fabric and wool 'sandwiches' (narrow but whole lengths of the duvet)...that after each one is sewed together be then be over lapped slightly in length wise and then stiched/sewed together to form complete duvet.
Rather than sewing long channels for filling...I would have the filling sheet sowed in and stitching making those long channels.. if the wool should felt a little..it would not form one stiff sheet but there would be plenty of 'give' within construction.
That's the theory anyway... Rolling Eyes Laughing
If there is fault somewhere in my thinking...please shout it out..I need to know before I get on with my plans.
I've got plenty of 'bits and bobs' of wool to use for this..and I'm planning to do loads of combing too, so all that waste is going to be put in good use..combined with some garish coloured commercial tops that I will never use for spinning (who forces me to buy in first place..? ..stained and other not so desirable part of fleeces ... etc. Very Happy Rolling Eyes )
Cathryn

That sounds like a plan. Can you take stage by stage photos?

I am unlikely to start on mine until winter, sewing seems to be for winter only. We can compare the results and work towards something perfect. Wink I do not want to hand stitch so I have to work out the logistics of mine. I plan to start with a pillow though. Might beg pure texel off neighbours. Just to confirm their opinion of me. Smile
boisdevie1

If this works any idea of price? Roughly. Finsky

That sounds like a plan. Can you take stage by stage photos?

I am unlikely to start on mine until winter, sewing seems to be for winter only. We can compare the results and work towards something perfect. Wink I do not want to hand stitch so I have to work out the logistics of mine. I plan to start with a pillow though. Might beg pure texel off neighbours. Just to confirm their opinion of me. Smile

sure I'll take photos...though it will be winter/later on the year project for me too.
Mum and me we've carried on talking about this...and came to conclusion that having thin cotton muslin layer separating each wool layer would probably be EVEN better. I have some in my fabric stash anyway..so it no extra cost. Should the wool compact/felt it doesn't turn into one stiff layer but will help keeping it all supple.
Mum also suggested having the quilt lined with something 'not so good at first before casing it all in with something more better for outer layer.
I've had good forage around...and I think I have more and less everything already in house..just have to dig into storage and make use of it what is already there.. Very Happy And more fleeces on its way too.. Laughing This is never ending.... Rolling Eyes Laughing
frewen

This plan sounds very achievable Smile

It has been on my to do list for years (but I just know that I will never get around to it)
Mistress Rose

The down duvet we have at the moment is sewn in both directions, so doing that might keep the wool in place even better. Were they quilts or eiderdowns you had as a child? We used to have an eiderdown over our sheets and blankets and although I think they were down and feathers, they were stitched in intricate designs and quite heavily padded. They were heavy and very warm. astra

I've been looking at those picking machines...they're vicious beasts! Think I'll stick to doing it by hand given that I'm accident prone/clumsy Confused Chez

Aaaah!! woollyval. I heard through the grapevine that after having to lose her woolly business through illness she's now is involved in making woolly clouds for sound proofing!! She's a real innovator that woman!!

She's in Cornwall now, and the wool business up on the Blackdowns was sold. I don't think she's doing it any more Sad

I have been researching French-style round bolsters, the really hard type. They are mahoosively expensive. I have a shed full of Jacob's fleeces. Could I run it through the washing machine on a cool wash? Or would it just felt in to a great big lump? Not that that would matter, I guess, if I want it hard. Thoughts?
Finsky

[I have been researching French-style round bolsters, the really hard type. They are mahoosively expensive. I have a shed full of Jacob's fleeces. Could I run it through the washing machine on a cool wash? Or would it just felt in to a great big lump? Not that that would matter, I guess, if I want it hard. Thoughts?[/quote]

If I would be making one now...I probably would start with round tube shaped foam piece....use that as core for the cushion...and surround that with wool filling.
Starting first with 'sausage skin'...strong cotton/linen case that is then filled in ..starting from one end that is fully sown closed...starting with some carded wool.. inserting the 'core'...lining the 'casing' with more carded wool and stuffing the gap between the core and outer carded layer with 'lumpier' wool..working up to the open end before sewing it close.

Well....that is how my head is working it in theory.. Rolling Eyes I did something similar with different foam materials once and filled the cushion similar way..though it wasn't very long one..it did work ok in the end Very Happy
Didn't those bolsters have more of feather type filling for bed use or more of (horse)hair filling for upholstery type use...but I can't see wool being a problem neither. I would not be surprised if there haven't been dual materials used too..with having more heavier 'core' material cased in and surrounded with more softer outer layer.
astra

My gran had feather bolsters. I should think a densely packed woolly one would be much nicer; you wouldn't have prickly bits sticking into you when they started to get old!

Chez: If you want some wool that won't felt easily I've got some. That's if Himself has put them somewhere sensible!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home