Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
gil

Woolfest 2011 (Cumbria)

One for the northerners.

Just a quick and late reminder that Woolfest 2011 is on tomorrow in Cumbria, just outside Cockermouth.
10am - 5pm £6 entry + £2 programme (I did without - the aisles are labelled as to which stall is where; and there's a Woolclip stall with a map of the whole show).

Review : Gil does Woolfest on the cheap[skate]

I went today, for the first time. Am not sure that I would want to go both days, though various people said 'you'll need two days to see everything'. I felt as though I'd seen quite enough in half a day.

Some rare bred sheep and lambs (cute), plus alpacas and angora rabbits; some whole fleeces; lots of undyed fleece / tops/ etc of all kinds of breeds.

A lot of dyed fleece/tops/locks, in colours ranging from garish to subtle. Some lovely colours. But why is the hand-dyed often in such tiny bags ? Even 100g won;t make much other than a beanie hat or a small scarf, and 25g is just ridiculous. And no way of matching bags to add up to a sensible weight.

Anyway, I managed to keep my 'novice spinner's' hands in my pockets. I have fleece here, both coloured natural and clown-barf.

The yarns : mostly jaw-droppingly expensive, especially the handspun. Some of it (to my taste) quite nasty both in colour and texture. A few stalls with cheaper acrylics.
Coned 100% wool aran-weight at £35/1kg cone. A bargain ?

The Texere stall was good/varied/interesting, and they had bargain bins.
The bargain bins everywhere were emptying fast.

Nice button stall, aisle C or D - vintage buttons, including mother of pearl.

Wingham Wool Works is not the cheapest place to buy wool dyes Mad . Check the other dye stalls !

*Free* fibrecraft-related postcards on the Guild of Spinners Weavers and Dyers stall - pics of pretty colours and interesting textures.

There's a folk band playing. Cafe prices looked reasonable.

Horrendous queues for ladies toilets. Don't leave it till you're desperate. Or cut out the wait and use the gents if you dare.

I found what I went for : some wool dye; machine-washable yarn in a very specific colour that will make socks and a shawl. And a couple of odds and ends.

On the way home, I stopped off at a more local supplier, and bought about 3kg of good quality 100% wool tweed aranweight for £20 in total. Nice colours. That's what I call a bargain.
cassy

Well, that makes me feel relieved that once again I wanted to go, but didn't make it!

It all sounds rather dear and I was already concerned that it would be too much temptation.

Thanks for review Gil. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home