Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

Would it make a difference to you?

The titles on most of my work are in Welsh.

I've been mulling over what impact, if any this might have on whether people buy or not.

For my landscapes, I'm not likely to change things (and I always provide a translation anyway) but for work like the still life I've done recently, I just wonder whether you think it would be more saleable if it was called "Little cups" rather than "Cwpanau bach".

I don't know a huge amount about the psychology of selling but it struck me that some people might be put off by a title that they didn't understand.

EV
RichardW

Why not just do both?

Or choose depending on where its sold & its intended target market.

IE tourist will want the welsh (as will the welsh) yet someone on the internet or outside of Wales might prefer it in English.
Nicky Colour it green

I like the Welsh - it attracts me more than if the title was in English. A translation is nice.. say on the label or packaging or something.

Depends on your target market I guess.

I really like that one btw.
earthyvirgo

Why not just do both?

Or choose depending on where its sold & its intended target market.

IE tourist will want the welsh (as will the welsh) yet someone on the internet or outside of Wales might prefer it in English.

Because the title is traditionally written across the bottom of the work just under the image and in a limited edition, each one would have the same title, i.e 1/20, print and edition number on the left - title in the middle, and sig and sometimes date (but not always) on the right.

EV
Nick

I like it in Welsh. But I am welsh, and know they're from Wales.
Jamanda

They are Welsh and painted by a Welsh artist, so the name would be expected to be Welsh. But if you wanted to sell them outside Wales or to non-Welsh speakers in Wales a small label with a translation might persuade some to open their wallets.
Shan

I prefer them in Welsh. Give a translation in an online description.
mochyn

Welsh every time for me!
Went

The problem for non-welsh speakers is pronunciation. Having titles in original welsh language is fine but if you can't pronounce it you ain't going to show it off ....if you get my drift.
robkb

I prefer the Welsh but as a non-Welsh speaker I'd quite like a translation, perhaps on a separate note?
earthyvirgo

Thank you all, that's really helpful.

EV
Midland Spinner

What a lot of them said - pronunciation is tricky, and as a non-welsh person it sort of nearly might put me off if - I sort of nearly feel excluded and that I ought to apologise for not being Welsh.

But you are Welsh, you work in Wales, looking at Welsh things, so probably stick with the Welsh thingy but put a translation - I know that my print means something like "Dreaming" and is of Elf, and that's what I remember when I look at it - not the unpronounceable title.
12Bore

I prefer the Welsh but as a non-Welsh speaker I'd quite like a translation, perhaps on a separate note?

That's the one Very Happy
earthyvirgo

What a lot of them said - pronunciation is tricky, and as a non-welsh person it sort of nearly might put me off if - I sort of nearly feel excluded and that I ought to apologise for not being Welsh.

But you are Welsh, you work in Wales, looking at Welsh things, so probably stick with the Welsh thingy but put a translation - I know that my print means something like "Dreaming" and is of Elf, and that's what I remember when I look at it - not the unpronounceable title.

Spot on translation of Breuddwydio Midland Spinner Smile

It's the exclusion aspect that I've been mulling - but, as folk have said, if I provide every gallery with translations things should be OK.

EV
Barefoot Andrew

Because the title is traditionally written across the bottom of the work

Could you not write something like "Cwpanau bach | Little cups" - space permitting of course?

If I had to choose I'd choose the Welsh, although I know how to pronounce it and I can understand how not knowing might impact sales.

A.
Midland Spinner

You might want to add something to your Artist's Profile in the gallery to tell/remind people that you are Welsh. We wouldn't expect a French artist to translate the titles of his/her paintings (hmm, Mona Lisa / La Joconde. Sunflowers/ Girasol, err, maybe we would ....... Embarassed

(scuttles away embarassed at national arrogance)
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing
A.
Ty Gwyn

Does the pronounciation really effect sales?

It does`nt seem to effect the numbers moving to Wales?
JB

I'd go with English. If someone sees something and then later wants to find it they are far more likely to look for it with an English description than Welsh even if they are Welsh. On the other hand putting the titles in Welsh, even though you are Welsh, seems like an affectation. alison

I'd prefer it with no writing on it at all. Nell Merionwen

With the welsh for me. Maybe with a translation given at point of sale. Nick

See, what happens is, you ask on the internet, and you get 300 answers, all different, all correct.

Were we any help?
earthyvirgo

You might want to add something to your Artist's Profile in the gallery to tell/remind people that you are Welsh. We wouldn't expect a French artist to translate the titles of his/her paintings (hmm, Mona Lisa / La Joconde. Sunflowers/ Girasol, err, maybe we would ....... Embarassed

(scuttles away embarassed at national arrogance)

Van Gogh's title for the painting we know as The Bedroom in Arles was La Chambre coucher (no mention of Arles), I assume all his work would have had French titles.

I guess we just get used to hearing English translations. Shame really.

EV
earthyvirgo

See, what happens is, you ask on the internet, and you get 300 answers, all different, all correct.

Were we any help?

Yes, I knew I'd get a hotpot of replies Smile
There is a leaning towards it not being too offputting.

It is my native tongue, so Welsh titles come naturally. They often sound more lyrical too.

EV
earthyvirgo

I'd prefer it with no writing on it at all.

Not an option sorry Alison, not on the linocuts anyway.
Without the edition info, there's no way of identifying if the work is a limited edition or mass produced.

EV
Nick

You could use a Sharpie and put the English version on some of the photocopied ones? earthyvirgo

I'd go with English. If someone sees something and then later wants to find it they are far more likely to look for it with an English description than Welsh even if they are Welsh. On the other hand putting the titles in Welsh, even though you are Welsh, seems like an affectation.

I can assure you it's not an affectation at all. Why would it seem so when it's my first language?

And I always translate the title where the work appears online, so search engines should pick up both.

EV
earthyvirgo

You could use a Sharpie and put the English version on some of the photocopied ones?

I know you're just trying to wind me up.

EV
Nick

You could use a Sharpie and put the English version on some of the photocopied ones?

I know you're just trying to wind me up.

EV

Moi?
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing
A.
Nick

If you scanned them as .pdf format, you could do them in exciting colours, and email them to people in a range of languages. This would give you a broader product range, tailored to individuals, AND cut delivery costs.

Win win, I suggest.
vegplot

When's the funeral? Finsky

Laughing Nell Merionwen

They often sound more lyrical too.

EV
This. It makes it part of the overall artwork for me.
12Bore

They often sound more lyrical too.EV
You wax them?
Midland Spinner

EV

She's teamed up with Penny at Squat Orange to do lino-prints on boiler suits? Result!

Runs & hides very very fast
earthyvirgo

EV

She's teamed up with Penny at Squat Orange to do lino-prints on boiler suits? Result!

I was actually thinking the cups would be quite 'nice' multiplied, in a row, top and bottom of a tea towel - specially for Nick!
In a colour of his choice .....

EV
vegplot

Did you know she runs 2-3 miles every other day - in preparation for just such events as this?
robkb

Did you know she runs 2-3 miles every other day - in preparation for just such events as this?

She must be a really long way away by now... Wink
Midland Spinner

Gulp.
vegplot

She must be a really long way away by now... Wink

Full circle.
Nick

EV

I was actually thinking the cups would be quite 'nice' multiplied, in a row, top and bottom of a tea towel - specially for Nick!
In a colour of his choice .....

EV

Here's what I was thinking. Clink.
mochyn

Did you ever go any further with the printed cloth idea, EV? earthyvirgo

Did you ever go any further with the printed cloth idea, EV?

On the back burner but still definitely on the cards.

What I didn't want to do it launch anything half-cocked or looking too similar to other printmakers who have migrated their work to textiles.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home