Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
gil

Would you get rid of... ?

Would you get rid of either of the following items ?

A clock that only works when it is face-down
A pair of boots with a non-repairable split in the sole that can only be worn indoors

Or am I the only person on here that harbours stuff that only sort of works ?
Ty Gwyn

You could always place it up-stairs,and cut a hole in the ceiling

A friend of mine had a pair of wellies,that had a hole in one,he said they were OK for working in a foot of water,but no more.
Behemoth

My mother keeps stuff that might or once did have value. I used to keep semi-working objects that no longer filfilled their function but have now learned to get rid. You only need one pair of shoddy boots.
Lorrainelovesplants

My husband is a hoarder.
When he filled one (large) shed, he simply built another. A real hoarder will never change. Rolling Eyes
Old computer cables etc (like 20 years old) and monitors and boxes of glass slide mounts etc...
Bebo

I'd probably chuck the clock, but the boots have got years of wear left. My current gardening and general around the house use shoes are a pair of trainers where the right one has a 3 inch rip along one side. Reckon they'll do for another couple of years until the top detaches from the sole completely.
sally_in_wales

the question is, have you got other clocks and boots that fill the function those are currently filling? If you have other boots or shoes to wear in the house and these become annoying because you can't nip down the garden in them without stopping to change, and if you don't use this clock because you have others available, then my vote is to bin them
12Bore

A friend of mine had a pair of wellies,that had a hole in one,he said they were OK for working in a foot of water,but no more.

Groooooaaaan Laughing
Shan

Bin the damn things!

My OH hoards a bit, so I chuck things out when he is not here.
12Bore

I would keep them, but you should bin them. Smile
faerienono

On a serious note.........(with my professional head on.....) you should definately get rid of the boots if they have a split in the sole, otherwise you could end up causing major long term problems with your foot which may be difficult to ever cure......neurofibrous lesions......
Nicky Colour it green

Re: Would you get rid of... ?

A pair of boots with a non-repairable split in the sole that can only be worn indoors

Or am I the only person on here that harbours stuff that only sort of works ?

my trainers and work boots always eventually split. then i save them to wear on dry days.....
faerienono

It's so good to hear that I will never be out of work............... sally_in_wales

I've got one I need help with, a year or so ago we went on a small business course, during which we were given oodles of shiny printed booklets covering textbook examples for filling in tax returns, doing basic bookkeeping etc. We found them useful at the time the course was running but havent looked at them since. All the info in them in freely available on the various small business websites.

I should put them in the paper reycling bag shouldnt I, I really don't need to keep them Confused
gil

I should put them in the paper reycling bag shouldnt I, ?

Yes.
See, it's easy to decide when it's not yours. Laughing
JB

Old computer cables etc (like 20 years old) and monitors and boxes of glass slide mounts etc...

I'm guilty of that one. The problem is that when you stored it it was worth something, five years on it's buried at the back of the garage and worthless. At least I don't store stuff like that if it's twenty years old when I get it.
JohnB

With the face visible, the clock will be more accurate than many, as it will be right twice a day.

Use the boots as plant pots.
Very Happy
judith

Am happy to volunteer my services next week.... Very Happy
I can supply references from many satisfied customers (including MDS members!).
gil

Am happy to volunteer my services next week.... Very Happy
I can supply references from many satisfied customers (including MDS members!).

I already have you pencilled in for cat worming (a four-handed job)
crofter

The problem is that when you stored it it was worth something, five years on it's buried at the back of the garage and worthless. At least I don't store stuff like that if it's twenty years old when I get it.

Don't be so sure it is worthless - my mum was clearing out her garage and is putting some of her junk on ebay. I am amazed that a 1980s vintage IBM keyboard has some value but somebody is buying it.
judith

I already have you pencilled in for cat worming (a four-handed job)

Excellent. Very Happy
earthyvirgo

Just the other day I took a HUGE floor cushion that I bought *several* years ago with a strange vision of having time for lounging around on it.

The lounging time never seems to have materialised, so the cushion has, at last, been taken to Annie's Charity Shop much to their delight.

I did come back with a lovely blanket but it takes up much less space than the cushion and it will be used.

EV
Ginkotree

Having inherited a lot of Useful Stuff and reused, recycled most of it over the years,I am now trying to be good and get rid of things that really are not going to be used...sad thing is...once they have gone down the lane I usually think of a use for things...broken things that no one is ever going to mend have to go now...have lots of wellies for plant pots but have been given so many plant pots i dont use them...need a new pair as wet feet are really annoying and uncomfortable...always think I am going to stay dry but generally end up treading in some wet somewhere...yuk....Note to self...must treat myself to a pair without holes frewen

I've got one I need help with, a year or so ago we went on a small business course, during which we were given oodles of shiny printed booklets covering textbook examples for filling in tax returns, doing basic bookkeeping etc. We found them useful at the time the course was running but havent looked at them since. All the info in them in freely available on the various small business websites.

I should put them in the paper reycling bag shouldnt I, I really don't need to keep them Confused

Send them to me Laughing
Ginkotree

Thats a good idea passing the leaflets on....thats why I love freecycle...even the clock might be good for someone to use...arty or mender... kirstyfern

I would keep them, but you should bin them. Smile

Ditto

I have a clear out every few years, but still have a box of chargers / cables / nuts & bolts, etc that I daren't throw out even though I have NO idea what they are for!
Jools

Thats a good idea passing the leaflets on....thats why I love freecycle...even the clock might be good for someone to use...arty or mender...

Yep, the steampunk crowd love bits of old watches and clocks.
Ginkotree

Thats a new one on me...steam punk...I must be out of touch. Laughing would they use the bits for jewelry Neutral Jools

Yep. Rob sometimes makes cufflinks from old watches and I've seen other jewellery using cogs and gears from watches.

The larger parts from clocks can be used to ornament other things.

Have a look on etsy to see the sorts of things that people are making.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home