Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
littlepiggygreen

Wrapping Paper

I've just been told that I can't recycle wrapping paper in the recycling bin.

Is this true, and if so does anyone know why I can't?
bernie-woman

Re: Wrapping Paper

littlepiggygreen wrote:
I've just been told that I can't recycle wrapping paper in the recycling bin.

Is this true, and if so does anyone know why I can't?

I thought it was only the metallic ones that you can't recycle - perhaps that is what they mean Confused
gil

Is it because it tends to be heavily inked all over the sheet ?

Why not just recycle by opening presents carefully, and reusing the paper to wrap other presents / cover books etc ?

Or use brown paper to wrap presents Embarassed
littlepiggygreen

gil wrote:

Why not just recycle by opening presents carefully, and reusing the paper to wrap other presents / cover books etc ?

Or use brown paper to wrap presents Embarassed

Both the above are in my plan of action for future birthdays and Christmas!! This Christmas however is a bit late as am more organised than usual and bought and wrapped everything already!

I dug out the booklet the council gave us when they gave out the bins and it does say no wrapping paper of any kind.
Thinking about it, it may be something to do with it being glossy??? They wont take envelopes with clear address windows either.

Maybe it's just another thing to add to the silly problems I mull over when putting off any job that needs doing.
Smile
sally_in_wales

won't it compost?
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
won't it compost?

Mine does.
2steps

I open presents carefully so I can reuse the paper later
jamsam

we have been reusing wrapping papaer for ohh,...30 years!!

we even have a sheet of papaer my mum had inthe '50's which does the rounds occasionally. i havent bought any wrapping papaer this year, we have two recycling sacks full to use up!
judith

I like to use wrapping paper for lighting the fire - the metallic finish creates some fantastic blue/green flames.
Mary-Jane

One year my Mum wrapped all our presents in copies of the Financial Times and tied them up with plain old string. I thought they looked incredibly stylish. My ex-sis-in-law has also wrapped hers in plain brown paper, tied with string with shells on the ends of the string which also looked nice.
judith

We've been using brown paper for about 20 years - the family have come to expect it. You can spot our pressies easily under the tree!
hedgewitch

I love the FT idea, M-J - might have to pinch that one as I have a lot of copies waiting to go to the recycling Embarassed

I have used brown paper before, and glued on paper stars and tied with ribbon.
Mary-Jane

hedgewitch wrote:
I have used brown paper before, and glued on paper stars and tied with ribbon.

Oh yes - I've done that too... Very Happy
jamsam

with the scouts and beavers we make them design and create huge sheets of wrapping papaer about a month before we finish and then we get he parentds to buy it!!!

so far we have had stars stuck on plain paper, potatoe stamps, old papaer 'woven' into new sheets and all sorts...
hedgewitch

Hmmm... Jamsam you've made me wonder if I can get away with doing onion prints even though I am over the age of 7 and don't have any small children to hand Confused Laughing
Azura Skye

I usually use newspaper, i think it looks really good if the news story on it isn't too tragic that is. Or I use magazine pages. sometimes ill make a flower with the newspaper too just to spruce it up a bit.
Sarah D

Colourful magazines are good tied with garden string which can then be saved for use in the garden; also newspapers or nice remnants of fabric if the recipient is of a mind ti use the fabric for something afterwards.

All my paper either goes on the mulch beds compost heaps or is burned.
hachidori

I realise that most of you are not city-dwellers, but for those of you that are close to a city, or shop online, the shop "Muji", which sells all sorts of japanese bits and pieces, sells lovely natural brown christmas wrapping paper (not heavily inked) which I am sure is recyclable.

http://www.mujionline.co.uk/online/online.asp?V=1&Sec=7&Sub=33&PID=1120
tahir

I think you'll be surprised how many of us do live in cities. What does hachidori mean?
hedgewitch

hachidori wrote:
I realise that most of you are not city-dwellers, but for those of you that are close to a city, or shop online, the shop "Muji", which sells all sorts of japanese bits and pieces, sells lovely natural brown christmas wrapping paper (not heavily inked) which I am sure is recyclable.

I love Muji Very Happy I know it's shopping, but quite a bit of their stuff is either recycled and/or recyclable - think they do socks and t-shirts from recycled cloth- and the design is very nice too Very Happy
mochyn

I like Muji shops: there's one in Birmingham. However, presumably everything there is imported from Japan...
tahir

mochyn wrote:
presumably everything there is imported from Japan...

Probably China via Japan
Northern_Lad

tahir wrote:
What does hachidori mean?

Hachidori is 'hummingbird' in Japanese.
tahir

Ta NL
mochyn

tahir wrote:
mochyn wrote:
presumably everything there is imported from Japan...

Probably China via Japan

Worse again. I don't mind Japan, it's just a long way to import luxuries. Won't (knowingly) buy anything Chinese, though, not since Tienanmin Square.
2steps

I love the newspaper and brown paper ideas. think I will use those next year Very Happy

I have wrapped most of this years hamper presents in fabric and tied them with ribbon
hachidori

Yep it means "hummingbird". I have thing about hummingbirds. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home