Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
mochyn

Writing probs

I don't seem to have MS Office Wrod, Power Point or Excel. The old chap says I need them!

How do I either find out where they are or get hold of them?

In very simple language, please!
Nick

What OS are you using?
tahir

Why do you need them?

The free alternatives are:

Libre Office
Open Office

I prefer Libre Office
vegplot

What OS are you using?

Mochyn's eyes have just glazed over.
Nick

What OS are you using?

Mochyn's eyes have just glazed over.

I knew that as I typed, to be honest.
mochyn

You're right. Now ask me about timber-framing: no probs. But otherwise: Shocked

I need to submit work to college as Word documents so I'm guessing I need to type them up as Word docs to start with.
vegplot

My preference by far for features and ease of use of MS Office 2013. However, as Tahir suggest Libre Office will do more than you want to do.

Download it here..

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/
mochyn

OK: so will that produce Word documents? vegplot

OK: so will that produce Word documents?

Yes otherwise I wouldn't have endorsed it Smile
mochyn

Smile I know but you know how poor my uderstanding of these things is! mochyn

Smile I know but you know how poor my uderstanding of these things is! vegplot

Case proven m'lud. mochyn

Wink Treacodactyl

Does Libreoffice open and save word documents better than openoffice?

I have to do some work on a word document and openoffice doesn't seem to be able to handle it very well and all the formatting goes wrong.

Mochyn, have you spoken to your college? If you don't get on with the free alternatives I would have thought you could get some form student edition of MS Office.
mochyn

That's my next move if I can't make this work, Treac. We have good IT service and if I can't get on I'll e-mail them on Monday Smile Nick

I think they've discontinued the student options for office now; I also think they've brought the price down for the regular edition.

Eta: http://www.software4students.co.uk/products/microsoft-office-365-university is probably your best legal bet, assuming you have an academic email address.
mochyn

This is going to sound so stupid. Does the name of the doc. just have to end in ".doc", then? buzzy

This is going to sound so stupid. Does the name of the doc. just have to end in ".doc", then?

Well, it doesn't HAVE to, and calling it letter.doc won't automatically make it intelligible to MS Word.

But if you have managed to create it as an MS Word document, call it letter.doc and many people will know what to do with it. Laughing

Henry
mark

I use Libre office all the time as dos my wife - we save documents as Microsoft office files works fine !

Occasionally it goes a bit odd but only on very rare occasions if we are sent Office/word files by someone who does not follow best practise and formats them in some really strange non-standard way

It is no problem with documents we create.
mark

if you create in Open Office or Libre Office when you save you select "save as" from the menu ..

There a two microsoft office formats for documents .doc and .docx

Whichever you choose Libre office wil save your document in the correct format and then attach the correct extension (doc or docx to the name )

If you simply add the extension to a file that is not saved as such by changing its name it wil just confuse your computer (and everyone elses)
vegplot

This is going to sound so stupid. Does the name of the doc. just have to end in ".doc", then?

In general you want to save in the format the person you're sharing the document uses. Older versions of Word don't support the new .docx format and if they can't use this version then save as .doc but at the risk of losing some formatting (in general you don't need to worry about the difference between .doc and .docx).

Select 'Save as' from the File menu and choose the format option you want...

mochyn

See where it says "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP/2003 (.doc) (*.doc) at the bottom of that screen? Mine doesn't have 2003 or (*.doc). Is it still OK? mochyn

Ooh: I had a thought.

The document I'm working on is called Blaaaagh.doc - OpenOffice.org Writer

Is that likely to work? I'll check with IT at college exactly which format they want, but does it look likely?
vegplot

Ooh: I had a thought.

The document I'm working on is called Blaaaagh.doc - OpenOffice.org Writer

Is that likely to work? I'll check with IT at college exactly which format they want, but does it look likely?

.doc usually means Word doc so there shouldn't be an issue.
mochyn

Cheers me ducks: I'm going to run a test later in the week: sending a .doc to my tutor to check that it's OK Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home