Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
jp

Yellow Swamp Brittlegill???

A nice little forage today, with a few chantarelles, a few decent size Ceps & even a couple of early hedgehog shrooms. However, I also found a shroom I've been looking for for some time - the Yellow Swamp Brittlegill (Russula claroflava). At least I think it is...Cab & anyone else, please could you take a peek at the pictures & let me know what you think (sorry the pictures are not so good). Have not had time to do spore print yet. Found by itself in fairly soggy part of the N Forest. Cap peels about halfway to the centre. Cheers.

PeteS

I founds a few of these a couple of weeks ago. Did you find this with birch? They are almost always associated with these trees. Does the cap slowly go a grey colour where damaged?
jp

Pete, I found it amongst a group of mixed deciduous trees - did'nt notice Birch particulalrly. It has gone slightly greyish, but it took several hours. So what do you reckon... Question
cab

Oops, missed this.

Looks like it, but you know, identifying a russula when you have it in your hand is a tough job, identifying online is next to impossible Laughing

Try tasting a little of it (it certainly ain't poisonous) and spitting out. You're looking for just a tiny bit of heat in it. Likely to be either common yellow russula (edible, good, most likely from the habitat) or swam russula (edible, good, its what your specimen most looks like).

I'm fascinated to know where Pete is going with the question about it going grey when damaged. Pete, whats that indicate with this specimen?
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home