Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Bodger

Yesterday?

As well as watching Fiji beat South Africa at Rugby and Gloucestershire beat Surrey in the cricket final, yesterday I also went to fetch these.

Large Blacks are the rarest of the UK rare breeds and not only that but these girls are from one of the rarest breed lines. They're from the 'Blackie' line and because there are only five registered sows left in the world, they're rather important little girls at that. Its quite a bit of responsibility but one that I'm sure I'll enjoy.Very Happy
sean

Very nice.
GrahamH

They look wonderful Bodger.
Will you breed off one?
Bodger

As long as they turn out to be up to standard, I'm aiming to have litters off both.
dpack

nice critters,lb piggies are quite chilled( and have big litters)so im sure you will have lots of fun.the ones i have known were a bit keen on digging so check the floor now and again for escape tunnels ,man traps etc (and dont let them play on a lawn Laughing )
Tavascarow

Now I am jealous!
They belong in Cornwall!!
Wink
It's a breed I've always wanted to keep (One of the two Cornish breeds) but the only supplier of weaners near me wanted stupid money for unregistered stock.
Just because he had a five minute walk on spot on 'it aint easy being green'.
Very Happy
Bodger

The first lot that I had dug like crazy

I paid slightly OTT for them but I felt lucky to get them but that was because of the bloodline rather than the breed. LB's tend to go for a reasonable price.

There are three West Country breeders shown but there are more than that.

http://www.largeblackpigs.org.uk/#!uk-herds/caa6
gregotyn

They do look a bit special, Bodger, well done! I hope to see you showing them at smallholder show in Wales next May.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home