Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Bodger

Yesterdays cliff top walk. A few snaps.

We found some wild flowers on our walk that were covered with butterflies but I reckon that it was just too hot for them and they kept their wings firmly closed. We got the odd glimpse of their true colours but they were too quick for me to get the camera on them. This was a Peacock butterfly.

And Red Admiral.

And a ? I forget.

Common buzzard.

He wasn't one for posing and soon cleared off.

And some good old reliable Sea Pies, AKA Oyster catchers.

Some smaller birds that I'm not absolutely sure about. Stonechat or Winchat?

Meadow Pippit? I stand to be corrected.

Rob R

Great pictures Very Happy
Nicky Colour it green

lovely pictures

did you get an idea on the LBJ (little brown job) butterfly? that double top eye is confusing me
dpack

nice ,it looks like a m pippet to me but im a bit dumb with the little brown things
stumbling goat

Stonechat.

sg
dpack

i thought lady stonechats had a pale tummy and longer tail but as i said im not good on lbj's
vegplot

That looks like Porth Dinllaen up by the gold course.
Bodger

A couple of miles up the coast towards Tudweliog.
vegplot

A couple of miles up the coast towards Tudweliog.

Not been on that section. I've done a couple of shore dives from the little harbour there though.
sueshells

lovely pictures

did you get an idea on the LBJ (little brown job) butterfly? that double top eye is confusing me

Think it's a Gatekeeper, isn't it?
Mistress Rose

Looking them up both the gatekeeper and the meadow brown are shown with a single eye on each wing, but I am pretty sure it is a gatekeeper too. It is one or other anyway. The gatekeeper has more orange on the upper wing anyway.

We have had a lot of peacocks round the last week or so. They have just emerged so we are seeing a lot of them. The silver washed fritillaries are continuing so plenty about. The peacocks for some reason love the inside of the kiln. Don't know if they like enclosed spaces, because they fly into the open fronted shelter and stay there too, or whether they are picking up salts from the inside of the kiln.

Bodger, most butterflies won't keep their wings open will they. I spent hours pointing a camera at a butterfly infested hemp agrimony trying to get a picture of a red admiral with its wings open. In the end I had to settle for one with its wings shut, but the picture is quite good anyway, so we use it on one of our greetings cards.

Looks like a lovely walk. Glad you enjoyed it.
Nicky Colour it green

lovely pictures

yes I think you are right. Gatekeeper have a double top eye, it's not as orangey as I suspect but that might be the lighting
buzzy

lovely pictures

yes I think you are right. Gatekeeper have a double top eye, it's not as orangey as I suspect but that might be the lighting

Another vote here for Gatekeeper.

Henry
Nicky Colour it green

lovely pictures

Another vote here for Gatekeeper.

Henry
here's a picture of a gatekeeper I took the other day, from a different angle
[url=https://flic.kr/p/obgJBA]

and yes.... there's the double eye thingy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home