Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
shadiya

Yoghurt question

My yoghurt is looking a bit odd, though truth be told, I don't much like the stuff so I may be being picky. My wwoofer says it's fine but to me it seems a bit slimy and I don't like the way it gloops. It sort of hangs rather than dolloping, if that makes any sense. Anybody have any idea at all what I'm talking about? Wink
yummersetter

I don't know if it's a similar thing but I've been continuing the same batch of yogurt, remade every 5 days for over a year but yesterday's was 1/3 whey and 2/3 lumpy curd. I've strained the curd and will try mixing half with salt and chopped chives as cream cheese - the dogs will have the other half.

I'd made this with Tesco longlife milk for the first time, maybe that was it. Or maybe it was an inauspicious day for us both.

Time to start again with a new pot of live yogurt and better milk
shadiya

I'd run out of yoghurt as have been away and so it was a fresh pot plus freshly squoze milk. No lumps but an unpleasant whateveriness. I'm tempted to say that yoghurt is just plain wrong but I know it's good for you so I won't Wink Laughing
toggle

mine does that sometimes, i think far more likely when i use cheap skim milk.

what i tend to do is use a really good yoghurt as a starter. freeze most of the starter pot in an ice cube tray. then get a new starter out of the freezer every few pots.
Finsky

Very Happy In Scandinavia they eat yogurty type of thing that is called Viili. That is made out of milk and a bit of right type of culture..and the result is deliciously ropey, snotty, gelly kind of yogurty desert and stretch to the end of earth. Once you get over the fact that it might dangle at the back of your throat for a moment before you are able to swallow it down the taste is looovely.. Laughing Laughing
Olden times they didn't mix any culture as such but what was in the milk as it came out of cow did the trick when the milk was left to rest for certain amount of time..almost like short fermenting period.
Perharps you've had touch of those frendly backterias in your yogurt.. Wink
shadiya

puke_r

Sorry to Scandinavians but frankly, no need!
VSS

It might depend on what you used as a starter.

I sometimes find that a fresh batch from a new starter is a bit ..... like you said. I actually quite like it.
Shan

It helps if you drain it through muslin. It seems to solidify and lose the gloopy character.
Jamanda

On a similar front BW made paneer today - that was remakably easy!
Bramleyapple

Re: Yoghurt question

My yoghurt is looking a bit odd, though truth be told, I don't much like the stuff so I may be being picky. My wwoofer says it's fine but to me it seems a bit slimy and I don't like the way it gloops. It sort of hangs rather than dolloping, if that makes any sense. Anybody have any idea at all what I'm talking about? Wink

That just about describes the consistency of the yoghurt I make Smile The vet told DH that yoghurt was good for our golden retriever - I found it expensive keeping her in pots of shop-bought whole milk yoghurt. I bought a yoghurt maker and use a tin of evaporated milk mixed with whole sterilised milk - plus a spoon of yoghurt to start it. I get two and a half pots each time - and, gloopy or not, Jazz loves it! Not sure I would Wink
Tavascarow

If you mix in a little skimmed milk powder it can give it a creamier texture.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Keyword Advertising Array Array