Yorkshire Pudding

My first attempt and I must say

I think they came out very well.
Shan

Well done. They look superb.
dpack

yep they look very good.
Nick

They look perfect as a starter, main or dessert. Which did you have them as?
Jam Lady

What do you think Nick?

Other sides were oven roasted potatoes, braised Brussels sprouts, braised carrots with pearl onions. A four mushroom medley (2 wild, 2 "boughten") that I had prepared last fall and frozen, thawed and reheated with a little extra butter. Whipped cream horseradish sauce.
dpack

next question is gravy or mustard sauce?
the one after that is starter or side?

grannie was for starter and mustard sauce, i'm more side and gravy

as afters and sweet can also work, apple n cinnamon works as afters
it also works as a side with many things

puds are ace and rather versatile
Jam Lady

We tend to call 'em popovers - they "pop over" the pan.

From Wikipedia: A popover is a light, hollow roll made from an egg batter similar to that of Yorkshire pudding, typically baked in muffin tins or dedicated popover pans, which have straight-walled sides rather than angled. Popovers may be served either as a sweet, topped with fruit and whipped cream or butter and jam for breakfast or with afternoon tea, or with meats at lunch and dinner.

My recipe was equal volume beaten egg, milk, all purpose flour. Beat well and refrigerate for several hours. Take roast out of oven to rest. Turn oven up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, preheating popover pan with a little rendered lard in each compartment. When lard sizzles, remove pan and fill compartments 2/3 full. Back in oven for approximately 20 minutes and Do. Not. Open. Oven. while they bake.

Wonderful, and wonderfully easy. No idea why I was previously intimidated.
thos

Very nice. Had you already eaten the other five?
Jam Lady

I only baked the six that you see, thos. Made half the recipe - two eggs, less than 1 cup each milk and flour. The pan is Wagner Ware, with the somewhat odd eleven compartments. Though why 12 is more reasonable I have no idea. Nice and heavy, heated up for a great pop up and over.

And for dinner tonight we had a sort of beef pot pie thing-y - cubed some of the roast beef, smallish cubes. Sliced up leftover carrots, chunks of leftover oven roasted potato, added green peas and gravy. Topped with spoonfuls of drop biscuit batter. Nice.

Hash will be next.
Nick

As a grandson thirty five years ago in the North east, we would eat stacks of these with gravy as a starter before a roast chicken and a tiny piece of beef. We’d have more with the meat, and then syrup on any left for dessert.
sean

As a grandson thirty five years ago in the North east,...

Special treat for your twentieth?
Nick

Don’t judge everyone by your own age.
buzzy

As a grandson thirty five years ago in the North east, we would eat stacks of these with gravy as a starter before a roast chicken and a tiny piece of beef. We’d have more with the meat, and then syrup on any left for dessert.

Rather more than thirty five years ago I recall that our family went to visit "the aunties in Leeds" and my brother and I (primary school age) were warned that the meal would begin with Yorkshire Pudding and gravy by themselves, and not to make any remarks about it, as at home we usually had the YP with the roast beef. I don't actually recall the meal, but I do recall the warnings!

Henry
Slim

My gram used to make popovers. So fantastic with butter and maybe raspberry jam Slim

Popovers would be a lovely addition to tonight's baked bean supper, I'll try not to dwell on my lack of them!

(We got a traditional bean pot in one of our family Yankee Swaps, perfect Xmas gift)
thos

my brother and I (primary school age) were warned that the meal would begin with Yorkshire Pudding and gravy by themselves, and not to make any remarks about it, as at home we usually had the YP with the roast beef.

Henry

The Yorkshire plot is to fill you up first so you don't want much beef. We always had the pudding with the main and followed it with YP and syrup.
Jam Lady

Slim, my pan is a Wagner Ware B 1323

I must have bought it at a yard sale, once upon a time. It is nickle coated cast iron. Heavy, non-rusting. The company stopped nickle coating along about 1930.
Nick

Great life on that pan, but really what use is eleven of anything? sean

Great life on that pan, but really what use is eleven of anything?

Restaurants nearly all used to plate stuff up in odd numbers because it's supposed to look more attractive. Dunno if they still do.
Jam Lady

Nick, I found something on Google that suggests it is important to have good spacing between the cups for good popping. And since there were only two of us having Christmas dinner even eleven would have been too many. Also, sort of in line with sean's comment about odd numbers for attractive plating - when I was in Japan I learned that they sell tableware in sets of five. Here in the USA it seems to be sets of four. What can I say. It's different abroad.

The comments on this thread have really been a pleasure to read, so much so that I made an entry for my web site. So you've read some of it before but I thought it might be of interest. Christmas Meals

With all good wishes for peace, health and happiness in the new year, from Jam Lady
sean

And to you. buzzy

Great life on that pan, but really what use is eleven of anything?

If there are two of you, five each and one for the dog/cat/budgie.
If there are three of you ……. You can work out the combinations!

Eleven mince pies sounds a bit like heaven!

No single number is going to be perfect for every situation Smile

Henry
Jam Lady

Happy new year, buzzy.

Some numbers are more magical than others. Twelve, divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6. Sixty, even more so.

Prime numbers, divisible only by 1 and themselves.

Fibonacci sequence of 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, that occurs in so many patterns of nature - left-hand and right-hand curves in a sunflower seed head, pine cones

Golden rectangle proportions of 1:1.618 - the Parthenon, spiraling shells

Enough. A small glass of lemon Grand Marnier and I shall call it a year.
Nick

Eleven is a stupid number. And you all know it. Jam Lady

No, Nick. Eleven is a prime number. dpack

an infinite prime is a perfect number of puddings tahir

love the tin, there's an 8 cup version too
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home