Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Tania

Young Cockerel free to good home

Hatched out 12 eggs in Feb and need to rehome a couple of boys either together if you have space or to separate homes - they were born 5th Feb and are nice natured and thriving - would love to keep as they are nice but already have 2 older boys - did sell them but before picking up the guy then found out his wives asthma was down to their own chickens so need to find nice homes for them.

1 looks like a light sussex though not a pure breed I don't think as he has a little very light beige on the feathers round his neck - the other is an adorable miss match - light sussex type feathers round his neck and dark brown splashes down his back.

If you are interested happy to send pictures
Piggyphile

If you can't re-home them you could eat them, that's what I do with my excess males, especially as they are not any particular breed. If you read up on it despatching them humanely at home is quite easy.
Tania

If you can't re-home them you could eat them, that's what I do with my excess males, especially as they are not any particular breed. If you read up on it despatching them humanely at home is quite easy.

Your talking to a veggie!
Nick

Chicken isn't really meat.
Cathryn

I have suggested to a mod that we lock this thread now. Smile
12Bore

Backing away slowly, closing the door as I leave... Laughing
Jamanda

I have suggested to a mod that we lock this thread now. Smile

Rolling Eyes Laughing
Piggyphile

Your talking to a veggie!

Sorry I didn't know that, I didn't mean to cause offence.
Bodger

It must be quite a problem for a veggie who hatches her own chickens. Most pure bred cockerels end up being eaten and cross breds are only fit for eating. Crying or Very sad

Cathryn I can't understand why you feel that you need to ask a moderator to lock this thread.
Shan

Probably because someone like me is going to come along and say it is irresponsible to hatch if you are not willing to dispatch. Wink Bodger

Irresponsible is a bit harsh, I wouldn't have used those words, I would have said that you need to be more practical but basically you're right Shan.
Someone getting to keep the birds that lay the eggs and then getting someone else to give a home for life to those that don't, isn't practical.
Even just buying pullets to keep isn't 100% ethical. If you want to take the stance a little further, it could be argued that by doing this, you're in 'cahoots' with an industry that see's a large percentage of male day old chicks bumped off within hours of being born.
I'm not a veggie and thankfully, I don't have a problem with eating any surplus cockerels.
Its great hatching you're own chicks but I can fully understand the dilemma that veggies must have. Thankfully, its not mine.
mochyn

I'm with Bodger. Bodger

I've got a job to do at the moment, which I've been putting off.
This year, I've bred some LF Anconas, my eldest batch are a couple of months old. Its very easy to see which ones are the cockerels and while the females lay loads of eggs, the males are very poor as meat birds. I don't like having to do it but I've got half a dozen that I need to cull. Nobody likes doing it, its just something that needs doing for the sake of common sense. The chances of me finding someone out there who just happens to need an Ancona cock is extremely remote.
Tania

Thanks for all your replies!
No offense caused - yes am a veggie and whether chicken is a meat or not - well that's another debate - however don't eat it either way.
As for don't hatch if you can't dispatch - maybe true though a little harsh - have only ever hatched twice - found it a real delight the first time and had 4 boys and 2 girls - I kept the lot - already had some girls and just got a few more - all was great till I lost one of the boys - who was a real gentle giant - what I didn't know was he ruled the lot. Once he died it was different and I did rehome one - I missed him and maybe foolishly decided to see if I could hatch one of his babies - rather than just hatch one I did 12 and got 12 out of 12 - my aim was to sell most of the babies off - but unfortunately this didn't happen - I did however think I had sold 6 off only to find out as the man was due to pick up his wives asthma was down to feathers - then sold 4 to a commune who then decided they didn't want them - anyway today someone has picked up 7 of them and (I hope) that they will be having a great life with the 170 girls they also picked up - so it seems some people do want to rehome cockerels.
Cathryn

I'm sorry Tania, I regret writing that in this thread. It was petty of me. I agree with you. I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy keeping hens or anything in fact and you are obviously doing it in a well considered way. I bet they are the best eggs you'll ever eat and I hope you continue to have much pleasure from your birds. Tania

I've got a job to do at the moment, which I've been putting off.
This year, I've bred some LF Anconas, my eldest batch are a couple of months old. Its very easy to see which ones are the cockerels and while the females lay loads of eggs, the males are very poor as meat birds. I don't like having to do it but I've got half a dozen that I need to cull. Nobody likes doing it, its just something that needs doing for the sake of common sense. The chances of me finding someone out there who just happens to need an Ancona cock is extremely remote.

In reply to your finding someone who might want a Ancona Cock - am not certain (and maybe no where near you) but if you go to Preloved type in Cockerel in the buy section - go down near the bottom on the left hand side and choose Wanted - and there people list what Cockerels they are looking for - not sure but have definitely seen the word Ancona mentioned - so you might be lucky - if not there are at least 2/3 people around who will take in and if need be rehome Cockerels - the guy near Coventry is very nice would have taken mine but I found someone before having to take them up.

Anyway choice is yours
Tania

I'm sorry Tania, I regret writing that in this thread. It was petty of me. I agree with you. I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy keeping hens or anything in fact and you are obviously doing it in a well considered way. I bet they are the best eggs you'll ever eat and I hope you continue to have much pleasure from your birds.

Sorry must have missed something - what have you written that was petty?
Well I sell excess eggs and more than one have told me they are the best they have had - even a friend who keeps her own chickens thinks they are better than hers - so although I don't do everything right - when they do lay they are good!

I also keep Ducks and Guinea Fowl - of which I am incubating some at the moment - guess if I have a surplus this may not be the place to sell - shame really as lots of people may be looking for the odd girl or boy. Having lost my Khaki Campbell boy this year I was more than happy to pick up a free boy via preloved.
Cathryn

I didn't write it, I just expected certain answers.

I keep guinea fowl. They are great! I have seventeen currently but I can only generally count fifteen. I think two are sitting somewhere and you can guarantee they will hatch chicks in this torrential rain just as I am on my way out to work or something. I do have a broody hen though so I am hoping that it will work out.

I have read your blog, I use the sawdust that is used for horses rather than corn in the nest boxes. I find it cleaner and easier to use and it composts just as well.
madcat

Love the sheep on your blog. Tania

Thanks to you both.
Don't worry about any of the comments - I can give as good as I get - and besides it is their opinion which is neither right or wrong.
My thought is if I decide to bring something into this world I have a duty to look after it and do my best by it - to me most of my animals are pets - I know I am a bit soft and yes to the disgust of many I do take my chickens when ill and I can't treat to the vet - all I can say is thank god they earn enough to pay for themselves in food!

Just to hatch something to kill straight away to me is a little unethical - I appreciate that some will eat the boys - and I think so long as you have given them the best life you could before hand then that's fine and I am sure they taste a lot better than shop brought - good to know where your food has come from - but I guess I would disagree with Bodger (no offense) just raising a breed because they lay lots of eggs and killing the boys off when you know what they are cause they aren't meat birds - anyway that's a whole new debate and my opinion!

The Shetland sheep are a new addition and hopefully they will lamb next year and yes there will be boys and yes at least once in my life I will raise it and take it to slaughter - although I don't eat meat etc mum and dad do - though they wouldn't have eaten the cockerels - though I did ask the question.

Next dilemma do I get pigs!
Nick

Yes. They're more fun than chickens and less suicidal than sheep. Smile Bodger

Tania, I know what a veggie can't do with pigs but don't know what a veggie would actually do with them. They're super animals to keep but they do tend to get bigger and bigger unti,l even the so called smaller breeds become humungusly big !

If you decide to keep pigs, would you want to breed from them and then, the obvious question has to be what would you do with the offspring?
madcat

I think a set of parents are looking at getting a bigger freezer , raising meat with care for others to eat is ok in my book. Tania

Tania, I know what a veggie can't do with pigs but don't know what a veggie would actually do with them. They're super animals to keep but they do tend to get bigger and bigger unti,l even the so called smaller breeds become humungusly big !

If you decide to keep pigs, would you want to breed from them and then, the obvious question has to be what would you do with the offspring?
I maybe veggie - but it is a taste thing - happy to cook it and for others to eat it.
It would have to be for meat - yes I think it would be hard to take to slaughter and maybe it might end up being a one off - I have a B&B so the bacon side of things would go there.
My thought is to have two buys - that way I won't be able to think - well maybe I'll keep them and breed from them.

Thinking of Berkshires - but need to find a cheap ark first!
Does anyone know roughly how long from weaners to pork/bacon weight - if I get in July will they be gone by winter?
Tania

To Nick - actually have really enjoyed having chickens - never thought I would was much more interested in having ducks - however the chickens we've had really do get under your skin and are a real part of the family - we have more now am living in the country than we had in London - so some are more so than others - had to put down two of our older girls at Easter and have to say blubbed like a baby!
And I really hope your prediction about Sheep is completely wrong - did think twice about having them as have heard they try everyway to kill themselves and have enough of that with Chickens! However the two we have so far are real characters - didn't think sheep would want so much petting - but one is a real soppy mare!

To Madcat - when I moved in wanted a huge chest freezer and was waiting for the sale - in the meantime mum & dad kindly brought me a much smaller one and have managed to fill it up with a load of things for them - not yet sure how two pigs are going to get in it - but dad thinks once nicely cut up - all will be well - hum not convinced!
So maybe looking for another one in the future - though no space for it!
Bodger

Tania, we made an outdoor pig shelter last weekend. It was very easy to make and cost next to nothing. If the truth be known, I'm rather proud of it but have to also own up to my eldest son being both the brains and the brawn behind the structure. I'll post pictures for you this evening. Very Happy Tania

be good to see - have been dropping hints to my dad as he made the sheep shelter and they love it - looking for a similar thing for the pigs - was thinking of wood as have heard traditional metal ones are hot in summer (if we have one!) and cold in winter (though technically not thinking of having them then) - any thoughts?
Oh and does the brains and braun want to do mine - could have paid him with a cockerel but only have two left now and thought I'd keep them - well that is unless Billy keeps trying to mate my leg when he sits on me - hummm.
Bodger

Tom and I knocked this shelter up for our pigs last weekend. We used four treated fence posts for the corners and some two by three for the framework. We clad it with some second hand tins sheets.

Tania

well they certainly look happy!
Nice house for them - did you position the house in a certain direction? Have heard they don't like the wind etc.
Bodger

yes we did.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home