Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
composting human waste, disease?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 7:24 pm    Post subject: composting human waste, disease? Reply with quote

Can anyone enlighten me as to problems with composting human waste as we intend on composting our nappies and obviously the waste that comes with them.

I read it can take 2 years of composting to guarantee them disease free unless vermicomposting is used as the worms clean the waste when it passing through them.

If its too much of a problem then I will just compost the nappies down and spread them around the apple trees.

mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermicomposting should definitely not be used for human waste - it does NOT destroy microorganisms and diseases!
It is however very good for kitchen waste.

Human faeces must be composted by traditional aerobic composting methods.

However you must be sure the compost reaches a high enough temperature to kill all microorganisms.
This may not happen except at the very centre of a garden heap if it is big enough.
Composting toilets in colder climates can help this along with some form of insulation or a thermostatic heater.
You must make sure that the "human manure" is balanced by sufficient carbon based material in the manure.

You need also to take measures to ensure children and pets don't dig out and spread human waste - and that smells are avoided.

It is possible to do it safely - but please do your research fully and don't be tempted to take shortcuts - especially if you have a baby or young children in the house!

ele

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't Penny "no waste like home" Poyser have some kind of vermicomposting set up at her house for poo, or have I misremembered?.

I imagine it's one of those things that you really have to do right if you're going to do it

Bazil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 05 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, They can go in the "non-veggie patch" composter for now ready for rotting down to spread in the orchard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive