links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
digital cameras
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 3:31 pm    Post subject: digital cameras Reply with quote

I am debating buying a digital camera as I am both travelling to interesting places this year, Paris and Moscow, but also I want to beable to easily take picture of my cookery and the like but the issue I have with traditional cameras is I am terrible at taking film to be developed

I really don't want to spend more than £200

these are the options I am currently thinking of

Fuji FinePix A340 Digital camera
reviews here and here

or

Canon Powershot A95
reviews here

I basically want a point and click camera with reasonable picture quality which can take pictures any time of day as it will be mostly used for holiday snaps or food

what do people think, what do you currently own and what would you recommend

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had finepix cameras for the last four years and can highly recommend.

I got my last one from www.7dayshop.com. Good prices

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Fuji Finepix 6900 which I like a lot.

The Fuji FinePix A340 Digital camera is one I would probably buy as a more compact alternative, if I really felt the need.

What matters a lot with digital camaras is not the "spec" but the quality of build, optics, ccd etc, and fuji are good on this.

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We own a very very very basic Fuji Finepix, I can't remember the model no, but it is only 1 mp and no optical zoom. All the pics on mine and TDs article were taken by it so you'll see they aren't great but not bad at all. I'd definitely go for that make again, but we're still quite happy with it.

Digital cameras are one of the things I love about these days.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new Fuji in that range, it would appear, the A345. Haven't handled it, but the finepix range is okay.

I like the KonicaMinolta Dimage range. I've handled an x50, and I liked it, and the E50 is nice.

I don't know the Canon camera there, but I've been traumatised by how bad I've seen the EOS 35mm cameras to be relative to the Minoltas.

But if I were you, I'd buy an old Olympus trip 35 on ebay and presuade your better half to nudge you till you take the film in for processing

hils

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I would recommend a fuji finepix! We have a S304 and it probably has more on it than we need but I love it all the same. The only thing I don't like on it is that there is a delay from pressing the button and the picture being taken, so you have to take that in mind when taking pics. The photo shop says this is normal in the older models (ours is about 2 1/2 years old).

My techno bof OH says fuji finepix have the best specs.......

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hils wrote:
Again I would recommend a fuji finepix! We have a S304 and it probably has more on it than we need but I love it all the same. The only thing I don't like on it is that there is a delay from pressing the button and the picture being taken, so you have to take that in mind when taking pics. The photo shop says this is normal in the older models (ours is about 2 1/2 years old).

My techno bof OH says fuji finepix have the best specs.......

The delay is why I favour the Minoltas, they tend to be faster than most of the others. But most of them are faster than they used to be.

The 'specs' of the Fujis are fine, but the optics seem nicer in the Minoltas. But really, there are good cameras in many of the ranges now.

hils

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about them except the one we've got. i think he means an allround specification for price, pixels etc.
If we get another one I'll look into that make - cheers for tip

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to go for a cheap digi camera like our fuji for every day snapping and posting photoa and then either get a very good digi or a film camera for those special pics.

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Sony Cybershot (can't remember the model number offhand, but it was one of the 3mp ones) that's about 3 years old, and takes pretty good pics, I've been really happy with it. It's about time to replace it really, think I'll be going for another Sony though, as we have the memory cards, etc., to fit.

We actually got it from Amazon.co.uk for £199 (minus 5 or 10% by becoming an Amazon affiliate and linking to it from my website .

Oh, one thing it is good for is battery life. We bought my father-in-law an Olympus digital camera for his 60th birthday last year, and the battery life is terrible apparently, good job we bought him a rechargeable battery pack too! Sorry, I can't remember the model of that either, but it was a new model out last year.

Fee

PS: Just had a look on Amazon and they have a much newer version of our Cybershot for £109.99 (4mp and does video with audio!)

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Minolta digi-cam and I wouldn't swap it for the world. Sadly it is getting a bit worse for wear these days (it's 2 years old) and so I may have to replace it soon. Would definately buy another Minolta tho' - one of the best things I ever bought.

Now I must get back to selling eggs to fund my purchase!

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 05 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fee wrote:

PS: Just had a look on Amazon and they have a much newer version of our Cybershot for £109.99 (4mp and does video with audio!)

When I was looking for ours, about 3/4 years ago, I had a budget of £100 and our model was the absolute best I could manage . Ours is good for what we want - a few records and pics for the web/email - it is amazing what you can get these days.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have ordered a Konica Minolta x50. It seem to have the best specs for the price. The one place where reviews seem to let it down was image quality but it still was good but not as good as everything else

In total it has cost me just under £200 but that includes a case adn a 512MB sd card which isn't bad I dont think

I went with https://www.7dayshop.com thank you for the recommendation JonnyBoy

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, now you can do me some cake pics for your article

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 05 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it comes before you want to put the article up certainly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive