links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
golden labrador scarf, anyone?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 2:43 pm    Post subject: golden labrador scarf, anyone? Reply with quote

Today I picked up (well, I couldn't not, 50p to charity...) 'knitting with dog hair' from the station bookswop.

I only have access to a shorthaired lurcher and some Jack Russells (apparently rather harsh and would need other breeds mixed in) so I won't be getting much practical use out of it, but you know, you lot out there with your spaniels and collies, if I can help, you know where to ask now

See, who needs sheep?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hald a bin-bag or so full of dog hair, picked up a a dog grooming salon to use for deterring foxes. Doesn't weigh THAT much. I'll post it to you for, say, a promise of a dog hair doily.

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Border collie here is finally coming to the end of his moult. Collie underfur is beautifully soft, although the staple is probably not quite as long as you would want.
Could rush around with the Dyson for the last few gleanings if you like. No charge .

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I wish mine had an END to their moult! I bet they can moult faster than you can knit, Bugs! Can send as much as you like! How ddo yyou do the spinning? Pity I can't seperate the black from the white - that would look rather smart!

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Thanks all.

Maybe I could adapt it for chicken feathers...

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
I have hald a bin-bag or so full of dog hair, picked up a a dog grooming salon to use for deterring foxes.

Did it keep the foxes away?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
cab wrote:
I have hald a bin-bag or so full of dog hair, picked up a a dog grooming salon to use for deterring foxes.

Did it keep the foxes away?

Well, they've not snooped around so much. Transplanting nettles to their favourite patches probably didn't hurt my cause either, though.

halloween

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

We have a long haired German Shepherd who we were assured 'would not moult as much as a short haired'

At last a use for all the hair!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to come and shear Milo they're welcome.

nettie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs what will you come up with next

I eagerly await "How to spin Jack Russell fur" and "101 things to make with toenail trimmings".

otatop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks! For a moment I thought that someone really wanted yellow labrador hair. I have tons of it. Even after vacuum cleaning, clumps of the stuff roll round the place like tumbleweed in old Western movies. (The labrador actually likes being vacuum cleaned so we have a double whammy).

One of my dog-walking friends has sacks of samoyed hair from her best friend, and at one time looked into the possibility of spinning it into yarn - I'll point her in this direction.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 05 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, never let it be said I don't try to help where I can ...the back of the book has a breed guide:

Border collies have a blendable, soft thick undercoat

English Springer Spaniels feathered water repellent hair on legs and chest is worth collecting to blend "although it helps if you're not in too much of a hurry" (you can picture it now, get that spaniel greatcoat finished today or it'll be the worse for you, boy)

German Shepherd's thick short under coat (it says, and I remember, you can pull out handfuls when it is moulting, it was always amazing that there was so much hair on what is after all not a very big or fluffy looking dog)

Labradors are a bit short but useable but Samoyeds are "the Queen of Canine Spinnables" and it says "Siberian tribes" have long used the fur which is warm, soft and easy to dye

I should have put this under reduse reuse recycle

nora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 05 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, when I was in my spinning phase, I spun German Shephard and Pyrineean Mountain dog fur, they both spun fairly well. Neither as tight a wool as sheeps wool but ok and nice and soft.

JohnB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 05 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame this topic didn't start 10 days ago. There's a carrier bag full of collie hair in my compost bin, soaked in human compost activator. It was only his second ever hair cut, so it will be a while before the next one.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 05 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Hmmm. Thanks all.

Maybe I could adapt it for chicken feathers...

Not so strange, when i was in America recently I visited one of the prehistoric cliff dwellings, and in the museum there they had yarn made with turkey feathers on display, so no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to make yarn with chicken feathers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive