links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
hyperlink buttons

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 3:55 pm    Post subject: hyperlink buttons Reply with quote

could you codey people just have a look at this, and tell me why my drop down menu won't go to the next page, once the button is pushed please.

Thanks.

Quote:

• <div class="buttonbg gradient_button gradient52" style="width: 158px;"><div class="arrow">Things to Do</div></div>

• I have tried changing some of the code, by copying the code in my side bars, that I know work , but the new ones aren't at the moment.

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of your pages end in .html while others end in .htm. For ease of maintenance choose one and stick to it (.html or .htm doesn't matter which) and ensure all your links are updated.

Also all the links in the first block have a base reference to this forum rather than to your web site. In the second block the pages don't appear to exist on your site but I've not checked them all.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add a lot of value, but the second last link has a typo 'Attractions'.

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
    I can't add a lot of value, but the second last link has a typo 'Attractions'.

Done, thanks.

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
    Some of your pages end in .html while others end in .htm. For ease of maintenance choose one and stick to it (.html or .htm doesn't matter which) and ensure all your links are updated.

Also all the links in the first block have a base reference to this forum rather than to your web site. In the second block the pages don't appear to exist on your site but I've not checked them all.

Not sure how that happened.

The first block I copied the successful code from the side menu bar, and that is how they write it.

The second was what was generated, by the website. I thought I was ending them all in html, so not sure what happened there.

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I am trying again.

This is the code, copying the style from the side bar, that works, but as you pointed out, seems to point to ds, not mull farm. I have changed the <> to [] to make it readable

[ul]

[li class="first_item"][a href="../bideford.html"]Bideford[/a][/li]

This is as sthe coe was generated, with each link written in full, and a title="" in, that I don't know what it does.

[li][a href="https://www.mullacottfarm.co.uk/art-craft-galleries.html" title=""]Art and Craft Galleries[/a][/li]

vegplot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:

[li][a href="https://www.mullacottfarm.co.uk/art-craft-galleries.html" title=""]Art and Craft Galleries[/a][/li]

This is the better formatted on the two giving the full URL. The title attribute is useful, it provides an information pop-up (wrong word) when you hover over the link. Use it to provide more information to the user.

e.g. title="Information on art and craft galleries in the area"

meta information such as thing not only provides better sign posting for the user but also helps search engines index pages more effectively which may result in better search engine ranking.

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 14 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
    alison wrote:

This is the better formatted on the two giving the full URL. The title attribute is useful, it provides an information pop-up (wrong word) when you hover over the link. Use it to provide more information to the user.

e.g. title="Information on art and craft galleries in the area"

meta information such as thing not only provides better sign posting for the user but also helps search engines index pages more effectively which may result in better search engine ranking.

ok, got it, thanks.

I have been experimenting, and if I paste the code into the body of the page it creates a link with no problem at all. It can't be that difficult, I am sure I am missing something easy!

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 14 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see a bit more of the problem now.

If I save the template, it is exactly as I want it, with hyperlinks working, and all looking nice.

When I go into menu, file, and open up a new page with template it doesn't quite present my nice drop down menu as I want it to, rather leaving it as a list.

I had made a mistake before, and was opening up a new page by duplicating the template, and renaming it, hence another template.

joanne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 14 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure the references to the .css files are still relevant

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 14 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it, had the eureka moment at 12.50 last night. Thanks for all the help.

I have a few pages to make now, before the next coding epic!

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 14 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're enjoying it.

alison
    Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 14 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:

I am actually.

I am also very grateful for all the help people on here are giving me. It is very appreciated.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 14 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
    vegplot wrote:

I am actually.

I am also very grateful for all the help people on here are giving me. It is very appreciated.

I know how frustrating it can be especially when your learning from anew. Having help on hand makes it so much easier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1
    View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive