Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Upsizing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 3:25 pm    Post subject: Upsizing! Reply with quote

Today, for the first time in 4 months, we've been able to sit in our lounge, with carpet and sofas and a TV. We've relaid floors, dried out, redecorated, replaced sodden stuff, fetched bookshelves, DVDs, CDs, ornaments, pictures and such down from the rest of the house they've been cluttering. The boys can see parts of their bedrooms they'd forgotten about, the stairs aren't a hazard anymore, the play room is about to have a carpet back down, and we're ALMOST back to normal.

Just a dining room to do...

I should add that I've had lots of advice and support from people on here. Thanks.

Don't get flooded, it's not worth it.

frewen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mum's not far behind you - I shall go over to see her as soon as the kitchen is done

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARUMP! Lots of those things are far off dreams for us. I wish just one room didn't have piles of things that should be stuck to various walls, floors and doors in them. It isn't that they're not where they should be, but falling over them where they are that irritates me!

Congratulations, Nick - I'm not jealous at all!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Nick. I bet Mrs H is pleased.

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be stupid, she's a woman.

But, I should add, the Aga is g.o.n.e. GONE.

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you are getting back to normal - i'm impressed - we did'nt get flooded, just started renovating the home and are now in total uproar!!oh for a kitchen with floors....cupboards...a living room not full of kitchen stuff....a.cooker...a bedroom not filled with bits of furniture and clothes...

You are an inspiration....must work harder!!

Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the dining room is still full of furniture and I haven't even looked at the floorboards in there.

The, um, library type room needs decorating, but we've been living in it for 4 months. But, the lounge is back together, and neat and tidy. Apart from the 4 kids and 200 Starwars models that litter it today...

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 07 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Don't be stupid, she's a woman.

But, I should add, the Aga is g.o.n.e. GONE.

You reckon? I think they'll have second thoughts.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 07 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Upsizing! Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Don't get flooded, it's not worth it.

Have you managed to do much to prevent any other floods or do you think it was a one off? I've seen things like watertight flood doors, air-brick covers etc and wonder if many more people will be fitting such things.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 07 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're off the opinion that it's a one off. Essentially, the house has been on the flood plain for 300 years, and never flooded as far as anyone can remember. It's built on a slight rise. We had so much rain that it was run offs from the fields, so a unique situation.

We could spend around £20-30k building a wall around the property, fitting flood gates at entrance points and sinking pumps to cope with anything, but it's a LOT of money to spend, and puts a big arrow over your house that says 'This house floods. Do you really want to buy it?'.

Most of our ground floor is quarry tiled and dried quickly and with a splash of bleach was clean.

So, in short, no, we're not doing anything this time.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 07 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

So, in short, no, we're not doing anything this time.

Maybe you should change that to "we're not going to do anything because it won't happen again"? Tempt not the rain gods....

Glad to hear that you are getting things back to normal .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive