Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
brocolli - not purple, not sprouting

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 3:10 pm    Post subject: brocolli - not purple, not sprouting Reply with quote

my so called purple sprouting brocolli is looking very green and unsprouted - should I be waiting longer, or just cutting my losses and eating it green?

cheers
Gav

Andy B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just getting bigger and bigger?
One year i gave ours rather a lot of horse poo and it got really big but didnt " fruit "

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brocolli - not purple, not sprouting Reply with quote

Gavin Bl wrote:
my so called purple sprouting brocolli is looking very green and unsprouted - should I be waiting longer, or just cutting my losses and eating it green?

cheers
Gav

Do you mean that there are no 'edible bits'? Or does it look like ordinary broccoli?

Sally Too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year I bought a tray of seedlings in sept & planted for spring cabbages, broccoli etc. Trouble was I forgot which was which and ate all plants as spring greens!

Some leaves tasted a bit broccoli like, but we didn't leave them long enough to sprout. It was still delicious! When was yours planted?

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: brocolli - not purple, not sprouting Reply with quote

Gavin Bl wrote:

cheers
Gav

I would be interested in the answer to this as ours hasn't sprouted either - it was planted too early, got decimated by slugs, then started to grow strongly in the autumn and is now big and green but wih no purple sprouty bits!!

Kinnopio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at mine this evening and the buds are just starting to form - so maybe it needs just a little bit longer?

The leaves of mine have a definite pinky purple tinge though!

VSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should give it more time. It is only the middle of February. You don't say what variety it is. If it is one of the later sprouting types, you may have to wait in to April.

The are all sorts of other variables to consider too. Broccoli of this type is a biennial and needs a period of cold weather to initiate the sprouting mechanism. Apart from last weekend, it has been pretty warm really.

Just be patient.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Gavin Bl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 07 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all, I'm not sure of the variety - but I'll sit and wait.

dougal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 07 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a high potash (K) flower fertiliser feed be useful?
For sure high Nitrogen would be expected to be unhelpful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive