Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How to get away with not watering tomatoes?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 06 8:11 am    Post subject: How to get away with not watering tomatoes? Reply with quote

Anyone got any ideas on this. I'm going to be away for a while which means that for 5 or 6 days there'll be noone to water stuff in my greenhouse. The chillies and peppers should be fairly resilient but what can I do to keep the tomatoes happy, or at least as happy as possible.

They're in growbags and at the moment get watered every day. So is there anything I could do to keep them happy (oh and we have a hosepipe ban so no timers and irrigation systems)

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 06 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a drip irrigation system where you fill a bag with water. I think they're quite cheap, so a couple of those might help.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of help this year, but next year you could try growing in pots stood on troughs full of gravel, and you simply water and feed the gravel. You get an extended root system into the gravel, so by filling that with water you can leave your toms for a while without having to water.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exchange of services/bartering? We have a deal with some neighbours across the lane which involves looking after each other's pets, livestock and gardens/veg patches/greenhouses when the others are away throughout the year. It works out well and gives both couples complete peace of mind.

Is there anyone reasonably local to you that you could do the same with?

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go with that as well mary jane

we are lookign after someone's place in wxchange for them looking after ours while we were in wales

so i now not only have my courgettes but there's as well!!!!!!

and their eggs and tomatoes etc

but at least we are all happy our stuff is looked after properly

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 06 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some 2L pop bottles and cut off the bottoms - leave the cap on, puncture the cap to make a small hole that water will drip through - stick the bottle cap end down into the compost near the plant in question and fill to the top - The water will drip through over a period of days and stop the plant from drying out

We tried this last year and it worked really well

Joanne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive