Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fleeces/carded wool wanted please

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 11 8:23 am    Post subject: Fleeces/carded wool wanted please Reply with quote

Can't believe how difficult it is to try to source local rare breed or different coloured fleeces.
Took a trip to an address from an internet site (the site was very swish), to find an overgrown farm, unhelpful people, no rare breeds in sight and rotting fleece in the yard......

As a crafter, and as someone proud of my heritage, I would love to use locally sourced materials, but so far (apart from Cathryn, thanks!),
I seem to be hitting blanks.

Having kept rare breeds in the past, I would love to help the folk who are trying to keep endangered breeds going.

Please pm me if you have anything suitable please.

Thanks

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 11 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Faerinono
I know that Wingham aren't local to you, (Rotherham) but they have combed tops from various British breeds. If you visit in person the British breeds tops are in the "English Shed", a treasure trove of bins of fibre from which you serve yourself - it's a great way to find out what the fibre from different breeds is like. If you want to sample different breeds then 100g won't break the bank.
They generally have about 20 - 30 bins of different breeds.
I've always found them helpful, although as a Yorkshire firm they can be a bit err, 'unusual' (brusque) - it probably helps that OH is from Yorkshire so I have a 'visitor's pass' to the county

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 11 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World of Wool also do scoured and combed top from all sorts of breeds, very useful if you are itching to try something specific but can't find a local flock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive