Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
old pooter on xp ,will it run non ms op?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 11:31 am    Post subject: old pooter on xp ,will it run non ms op? Reply with quote

my old stack has some nice cards in it especially the 1999 sound card(ex studio 5.1 )

as the op has been xp since the last cpu upgrade to a 2.8 duelcore would a non microsoft op be a good idea ?

i use a lappy for most stuff but i want the stack to run the studio software (xp based stuff) that i have platinum ,sound forge etc etc .

is there a non M.S. op that will run stuff written for xp?

any help gratefully etc.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Ubuntu os with an XP "virtual machine" might work? It's an idea I know about but haven't tried so you'd have to check all your compatability etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDaD1d4-Ec

oldish chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that the short answer is "probably".

The OS would not be a problem. Linux would run really well on your machine. Either Mint or Ubuntu would be a good start point.

There is a bit of Linux software called "Wine" which enables the user to run Windows software.

Ref #1
Ref #2

One of the options suggested is "Dual Boot", for on-line stuff used Linux, and off-line stuff use XP. My opinion is that the biggest reason to abandon XP is to do with security, which, as you know, is only a risk if you go surfing and emailing.

However,

I'd be very tempted to disable the internet connections and carry on as you are. The pain is having to transfer files using a memory stick (but that process could double up as "back-up").

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
There is a bit of Linux software called "Wine" which enables the user to run Windows software.

Which only works on some of it.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why move from XP?

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All security fixes and patches are ending now

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, but studio stuff probably doesn't require net access. As Chris says, might be easier to live with it off line than compromise on functionality.

But, that might not be the only reason.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran win2k way past it's hotfix deadline, no issues

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you make pants.

Dpack is dpack, and GCHQ are all over him like a cheap Bangkok lady boy. He needs to be below the radar.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Dpack is dpack, and GCHQ are all over him like a cheap Bangkok lady boy. He needs to be below the radar.

Not thinking

chez

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An expensive Bangkok ladyboy, surely?

I've started using Wine as a windows 8 emulator for one or two things. There's a wine repository (is that right? Do I mean depository?) That you can check your software package against, to see how likely it is to work.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of the reson is the amp n speakers work very well with the sound card and i like tunes when im on line .
the hd lappy sound is carp and only stereo

the other reason is that ive got lots of ace studio quality software that isnt post xp compatable so unless i spent a fortune on plug ins for cubase etc etc etc a new pooter wont do that sort of stuff.

if i was bothered by gchq i would use a carrier pigeon with a pgp encrypted memory card

oldish chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to understand your requirements.

1) Creative stuff that will only work on an XP system - I've done a bit of rummaging, probably won't run on Linux using wine. There are Linux alternatives, but I'm guessing you'd have a massive learning curve and the software may not be as good as your present stuff.

2) Going on-line and listening to music simultaneously. XP (as far as I can make out) always was risky, and scare mongers are saying that it is about to become more risky. Linux, on the other hand is a lot less risky. If dual booting, Linux can read from the XP disk partition, and you can use VLC media player. You can check hardware compatibility by running Linux from the DVD, without altering anything on your hard drive.

BTW, I use a pair of half decent headphones to get OK sound quality on my lappy.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cans are ok but the 5.1 sound with front/back/middle and base is awesome at a safe volume (and i have the amp/speakers)

arvo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 14 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great set-up dpack.

You can run a demo version of ubuntu of a disk or a memory stick. That way you don't have to (ever) install it and you can give it a spin and see if you like it and see if wine runs what you need it to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive