links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Hair Dye

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 8:50 pm    Post subject: Hair Dye Reply with quote

Does anyone make their own dye or just dye their own hair?

I have a lush henna bar sitting in the kitchen staring at me, and I'm doing a hair strand test from the hair in my hairbrush at the moment... the stuff looks like meconium !

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often used pure henna in the past - it's lovely on my hair. Haven't used it for a few years though (feel as though I'm getting a bit old for bright orange!!)

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use organic henna on my hair - get it in bulk from Suma. It dyes my silver hair bright pink, but it looks OK

You can grow your own henna in this country; Chiltern Seeds and The Organic Garden Catalogue do the seeds.

ele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
I use organic henna on my hair - get it in bulk from Suma. It dyes my silver hair bright pink, but it looks OK

You can grow your own henna in this country; Chiltern Seeds do the seeds.

so they do, I never thought to ask if anyone grew their own hair dye

I notice that Lush's brown and black mixes contain black henna (Indigofera tinctoria) which I guess is totally unrelated to normal red henna (Lawsonia intermis)

nora

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amphora-wholesale.com/henne-colouring-cream-c-93_95.html

I've used these ones from amphora (but you can get them from health food shops too) Its easy to use and wears off nice and gradually. It does tend to wear off grey bits quicker than the rest though and these bits can look a bit orangy.
I've got shoulder length hair and get 2 goes out of one bottle.

Caplan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ele wrote:
I'm doing a hair strand test from the hair in my hairbrush at the moment... the stuff looks like meconium !

So you'll look born again? Brilliant. i'll try it!

ele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 05 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nora wrote:
https://www.amphora-wholesale.com/henne-colouring-cream-c-93_95.html

I've used these ones from amphora (but you can get them from health food shops too) Its easy to use and wears off nice and gradually. It does tend to wear off grey bits quicker than the rest though and these bits can look a bit orangy.
I've got shoulder length hair and get 2 goes out of one bottle.

that's interesting cos I didn't think anyone did henna based colouring that wasn't just dried powder or in a block. Does the stuff contain any dodgy chemicals? and how long does it last, on the website it says only 4-5 washes, is that what you've found?

nora

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ele, I am not sure exactly whats in it as it doesn't have a list of ingredients, maybe because its made in France. It says on the box : made from plant extracts and perfumed with lavender essence. (its like conditioner consistency).
I wash my hair every day and find it gradually fades over about 2-3 months, but I think it would depend on how porous your hair is to how long it lasts. (Mine says 4-5 washes on the bottle).
I wouldn't like to say it doesn't contain any dodgy chemicals, it does say oxidant free, ammonia free, bleach free, but theres no mention of what else it does contain!
[I've just thought, that amphora site I did a link to is the wholesale section where you have to order over £50 of stuff to get those prices, but they do have a trade section.]
Hope this helps

ele

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nora

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive