Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Company Registration Number?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:42 am    Post subject: Company Registration Number? Reply with quote

Probably being very thick here, but I’m going round in circles and need this in simple short words.

Paypal are asking me for additional info on my business, which whilst tedious is fair enough if it makes everything safer and more traceable for the customer.

They keep asking for my ‘company registered number’ and I don’t know what this is. I was a sole trader but became a partnership a few months ago, I have a partnership tax reference number from the tax office that I got when we set up the partnership, but I don’t have any other official company registration numbers. What am I supposed to be sending them?

I've already sent them proof of our partnership bank account and a copy of the tax office letter saying 'you are now a partnership, here is your new tax reference number' but that isnt it and I can't find an explanation of what they want.

12Bore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registration number from Companies House?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're a limited company or limited partnership (did you register in Cardiff?), you probably won't have a company number Sally.

EV

Last edited by earthyvirgo on Fri Jun 10, 11 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
Unless you're a limited company (did you register in Cardiff?), you probably won't have a company number Sally.

EV

Thats what I thought, we arent a limited company, just a bog standard small business partnership and I've told them that, but I just keep getting requests for our company number

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:
Unless you're a limited company (did you register in Cardiff?), you probably won't have a company number Sally.

EV

Thats what I thought, we arent a limited company, just a bog standard small business partnership and I've told them that, but I just keep getting requests for our company number

And not a limited partnership?
If you aren't limited, you won't have a Company Reg Number.

EV

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a limited partnership either, we just phoned up the tax office, said 'I'm stopping being a sole trader and we are now a partnership' and they say 'ok, heres a new tax reference number' and that was pretty much it

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have ticked the wrong box somewhere on paypal. Is there somewhere that asked you for type of business?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny Outskirts wrote:
I think you may have ticked the wrong box somewhere on paypal. Is there somewhere that asked you for type of business?

thats what I'm wondering, it asked me to state type of business, so I put partnership, but it also insisted on knowing who the shareholders were and wouldnt accept none, so I put me and Gareth down as that was the only way to move it forwards, but I bet thats where the glitch is

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal are morons when it comes to things like this. We had a right job getting a PP account for the Feast, because we foolishly mentioned 'not for profit'. They wanted ridiculous levels of paperwork before they'd activate the account.
A.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent a long email to the helpdesk, if they don't come back with anything helpful I'll have to grit my teeth and phone them I suppose

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 11 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sally_in_wales wrote:
Penny Outskirts wrote:

thats what I'm wondering, it asked me to state type of business, so I put partnership, but it also insisted on knowing who the shareholders were and wouldnt accept none, so I put me and Gareth down as that was the only way to move it forwards, but I bet thats where the glitch is

I bet it's because Paypal is a US company, and partnerships are incorporated over there.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 11 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you register your company name, regardless of company type (Ltd, PLC, sole trader, partnership etc) you will have a company number. If you haven't registered the company name, you won't have a number.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 11 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not quite right Vanessa, a company regsitration number is specific to Limited Companies or Limited Liability Partenerships, and a couple of other random things. Sole traders and partnerships do not have a company registration number.

Vanessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 11 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong, Penny. Sole traders etc don't HAVE to have a company number, but they CAN have one if they want. My hubby does have one, because he chose to register his company name with Companies House.

Mind you, he probably doesn't have one now, because I think he's let the registration lapse

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 11 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/infoAndGuide/companyRegistration.shtml

If they have a company registration number they are a registered company, NOT a sole trader etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive