Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
evil blackberries
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 05 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just visited the Sainsbury's website and submitted a query about this to them.

Can only recommend that you do the same.

Here is the link -

https://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=326

ele

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 05 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done

I'll post up any e-mail reply I get

giraffe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 05 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just emailled them. Glad it's not just me who is appalled by this!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do despair of the punters at times, last year when Morrisons was I think still Safeways, they were selling blackberries at the height of season in a store where the car park is surround with brambles

Did not see the same this year, so maybe there is a little hope?

ele

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 05 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
I do despair of the punters at times, last year when Morrisons was I think still Safeways, they were selling blackberries at the height of season in a store where the car park is surround with brambles

Did not see the same this year, so maybe there is a little hope?

I used to be that person

wishus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 05 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands up - I went into Sainsbury's yesterday, but only because my housemate had neglected to tell me it was her birthday, and I wanted to get her a gift. Not having had time to prepare, I needed to buy something. The only place open by the time I got to town on the bus was Sainsbury's...
... but I walked past the fruit and veg section, and thought, mmm, apples.
They had 2 crates marked with the Union Jack, and one of them had a big, pointy sign that said "Produced in the UK and this season's", so I picked some of those.
Proof that marketing works - they tapped into my desires to choose seasonal British fruit - but I'm just propping up their empire - and just because it was British, doesn't mean it wasn't driven miles out of the way to get to that store.
I feel duped.

Penelope Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 05 4:09 pm    Post subject: Switch of name Reply with quote

Oh so that's who Morrisons were, thanks for telling me. Never been near either, but it's useful to know. The price of brambles is dreadful[ the trouble is if you go to the country to pick them (I live in London) a lot of people have the same idea and the bramble patches are bare.!

judith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 05 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now know who buys the evil blackberries. It is my friend who came to visit this weekend. She confessed to buying a pack right in the middle of peak blackberry-harvesting season Claimed that she couldn't find any bushes near her, which is a huge porky pie if ever I heard one as I saw plenty last time we visited.

I am still considering a suitable penance. Perhaps our resident Confessor could come up with something suitable

Nanny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 05 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think people buy blackberries like that because they are bigger for one thing

most of the wild ones tend to be smaller and more gritty to most people

i grow my own cultivated ones, a thornless variety and they are quite nice though not yet established enough to give me a decent crop - in fact none at all this year.......

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 05 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the berries here are huge! We sometimes sell farmed ones (British) in the shop, and I asked a customer why she didn't pick wild ones, as they were in season. "No time!"

I've e-mailed Sainsbury's too.

giraffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had a reply from Sainsburys yet? I haven't.

ele

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giraffe wrote:
Has anyone had a reply from Sainsburys yet? I haven't.

nope, perhaps they're preparing an evil blackberries official statement?

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 05 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response from Sainsbury's this morning:

"Dear Natasha

Thank you for your email.  I am concerned to hear you are unhappy with our decision to source blackberries from Mexico.  I can understand how disappointed you must feel and I hope you will accept my apologies.

I would like to assure you we are committed to supporting British suppliers.  However, Mexico is the best place to source blackberries at this time of year. 

We are working closely with our suppliers and partnerships in this country to find new ways of supporting the home market.  If you would like to find out more details about what we are doing to support British suppliers there is a lot of information on the FAQs on our website.

Thank you once again for contacting us.  I hope you will continue to shop at Sainsbury's in the future.

Kind regards,

Gemma Wilkinson
Sainsbury's Customer Services

[THREAD ID:1-29CL8F]"

Obviously it hasn't occured to them that if they're out of season here, people probably don't actually need them!

giraffe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 05 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the reply - silly people - why do we actually need blackberries in mid november anyway? Certainly not enough to ship them all the way from Mexico! What next - strawberries in November (yes I've seen those too in there.)
Still waiting for my reply from them. They obviously don't love me.

Helen_A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 05 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having some extremely unseasonable weather here - I picked a half dozen nice blackberries down the lane this afternoon.

Right colour, but horrible sadly

Local Morrisons was selling dutch blackberries today, reduced...

Helen_A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive