Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Radiator backing foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 05 7:38 pm    Post subject: Radiator backing foil Reply with quote

Now the cold has hit, I've realised the double glazing and loft insulation haven't made my house the cosy place I was expecting. I can't have cavity wall insulation done (it was apparently previously injected with a substance that was popular some decades ago, but has now found to break down over time, giving it little insulating properties and impossible to inject again.
so...I've put some of that insulating foil on the back of radiators that are mounted on external walls; and I'm now wondering whether it helps to put it on radiators that are on internal walls to direct the heat into rooms that need it e.g. cold dining room's radiator wall backs on to kitchen, which is generally warm. Do you think this would actually help?

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 05 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks yes, if the air is warm the room feels warm, hence the reason fan heaters have such an immediate effect. It can't do any harm eitherways.

tawny owl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 05 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator backing foil Reply with quote

ross wrote:
Now the cold has hit, I've realised the double glazing and loft insulation haven't made my house the cosy place I was expecting. I can't have cavity wall insulation done (it was apparently previously injected with a substance that was popular some decades ago, but has now found to break down over time, giving it little insulating properties and impossible to inject again.

Oh, know the feeling - ours has the same problem.

quote="ross"]so...I've put some of that insulating foil on the back of radiators that are mounted on external walls; and I'm now wondering whether it helps to put it on radiators that are on internal walls to direct the heat into rooms that need it e.g. cold dining room's radiator wall backs on to kitchen, which is generally warm. Do you think this would actually help?[/quote]

I've got it everywhere - I bought a big roll of the insulated stuff from Wickes for about 8/9 quid, and it does seem to help.

puffedpride

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 05 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on The Yellow House website I was surprised to see the opposite advice - ie paint the walls behind radiators BLACK so walls absorb the heat. Idea being that once heated up the walls (if brick) will retain heat and provide background warmth for a long time - rather like storage heaters do I suppose.

thos

Location: Jauche, Duchy of Brabant (Bourgogne-ci) and Charolles, Duchy of Burgundy (Bourgogne-ça)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puffedpride wrote:
on The Yellow House website I was surprised to see the opposite advice - ie paint the walls behind radiators BLACK so walls absorb the heat. Idea being that once heated up the walls (if brick) will retain heat and provide background warmth for a long time - rather like storage heaters do I suppose.

What a daft idea.
When the CH comes on you want the room to heat up quickly. The hot water in the radiator is a good heat store, continuing to radiate when the boiler is off.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiator shelves - especially for those radiators underneath wondows, also help redirect heat back into the room. And they are extremely useful for dumping all sorts of tutt on.

Thos - I think George Marshall's advice about the radiator backing being coloured black is based upon the experiences he has in his own house, which has been extensively modified. It may not be suitable for everyone, but if works well for Marshall. He says:

"Our overall goal was to find ways to reduce the house’s consumption of electricity, gas and water by two-thirds compared with its average over the previous four years. In the first year of living in the house we have met that goal with water consumption, and have halved our energy use. We keep working at it and are confident of reaching the overall goal within a further year."

https://www.theyellowhouse.org.uk/

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to state the bleedin' obvious - but how you use your heating depends on how you use the house.
If the house is basically occupied 24/7 then it makes sense to regard it as a big storage radiator.
But if you are wanting evening and morning heat only on weekdays, then perception is probably more important than reality. And percieved warmth IMHO has a lot to do with radiation. Which is one reason people like woodburners - they radiate a lot of heat.

Now, I think foil is going to (slightly) increase radiation. Conventional "radiators" of course heat mainly by *convection*.

Insulation should be the primary answer.
What is it that is in your cavities?
Can you improve draught-proofing? (Air movement gives a perception of coldness.)
Do you have unused chimneys that are still fully open? (You can bung them up to prevent your heated air going up the chimney - BUT do incorporate a piece of drainpipe, or similar, to allow some air movement up the chimney, to avoid damp problems.)

Central heating systems are rarely very precisely designed. You may need larger radiators in some rooms. The easiest way to achieve this is to go for one the same external size, but with double panels or additional finning to transfer more heat...

If the system has been installed for some time, especially if it hasn't been religiously topped up with inhibitor, it might not be a bad idea to have it "powerflushed" so that it can do its job properly, unhindered by any part-obstructed pipes...

ross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

not sure exactly, but bloke who came to do cavity wall insulation drilled a hole and said they had previously been injected with a type of foam that has been found to break down over time, losing a lot of its insulating properties but also meaning they can't inject any new stuff in there.

Quote:
Can you improve draught-proofing?

Yes, the dining room floor is floorboard, which do have some gaps. This floor is very cold, but we're reluctant to cover with carpet as it looks nice. I will try and plug the gaps.

Quote:
Do you have unused chimneys that are still fully open?

Again, yes, a chimney in that same room. Any suggestions on how to block up without spoiling the look?

thanks for the suggestions.

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross wrote:

Quote:
Do you have unused chimneys that are still fully open?

Again, yes, a chimney in that same room. Any suggestions on how to block up without spoiling the look?

Have a look here
https://www.chimney-balloon.co.uk/

however as mentioned in this very relevant article, almost anything would do...
https://money.guardian.co.uk/utilities/story/0,11992,1597945,00.html
an offcut of plastic pipe stuffed through your blockage will allow a trickle of airflow for ventillation.

Another bleedin' obvious point (but still missed by many) is that curtains masking radiators is grotesquely inefficient...

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ross wrote:
Quote:

not sure exactly, but bloke who came to do cavity wall insulation drilled a hole and said they had previously been injected with a type of foam that has been found to break down over time, losing a lot of its insulating properties but also meaning they can't inject any new stuff in there.

Is this something you might take up with whatever surveyor went over the property before you bought it?

If there really is nothing that can be done at a reasonable cost for the cavities, you might consider when redecorating next fitting an insulated plasterboard on the inside of 'outside' walls. Serious job though... (skirtings, covings, windowsills...)

ross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dougal. Yes, I have seriously thought about putting insulating boards up when next decorating- but as you say, what a job!

Cardinal Fang

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwfix sell radiator foil cheaply at www.screwfix.com. Ordered some online last Sundayat 3.30pm- arrived Monday morning!

Also got an email Sunday night saying it had been despatched.

Fair play, good service; hope this is their norm!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 05 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwfix, i have never paid for their next day promise, but never had a delivery anything other than next day. Many orders, never dissappointed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive