About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Mackerel watch 2011
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (son) caught a few mackerel, a couple of weeks ago off Torcross - not sure of dates- but they are definately about.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of mackerel off SW Wales now, had loads off a charter yesterday. Most were pretty small, only kept one for the table. Had plenty of other tasty fish to keep me occupied.

Edited to address an anonymous complaint that the fish I posted a pic of was 'undersized'. I assume this refers to the bass which was measured on the boat and well in excess of the mls of 37.5 cm.

Jacqui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 11 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good weather forecast for this weekend - if the weather people don't change their minds. The other half will be on the '4th of July' chugging out of Aberaeron harbour on the morning tide trying to catch the supper.... I'm not holding my breath.

Colin & Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 11 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dover and surrounding beaches had so many a couple of weeks ago you could nearly walk to France on the top of them. A friend popped to the Admiralty pier to catch a few and a party of eastern Europeans were leaving with over 1000. By all accounts they were not unique and other parties were coming off with similar amounts.

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin

crofter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 11 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin & Jan wrote:

Not condoning it; I'm sure they all get used and very few go to waste. It has been quieter the last couple of weeks as the weather has been a bit more unsettled. Might pop down with the spinning rod or the fly rod in the next week or so if the weather stays fair.

Colin

They are moving north. Spinner is your best bet. Won't arrive here until August.

Leave a few for us to catch, as the Icelander said to the Scotsman...

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 11 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost count of the mackerel caught in a short session off the kayak yesterday, basking in the sun on the Gower coastline.

A lot of small ones in the mix, tho' still managed plenty of decent sized ones for the plancha plus a bunch for smoking this afternoon.

(Also had a couple of gurnard, a dab, a whiting and a dogfish - was a good session!)

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught 15 from the kayak today, no idea how long they have been up here but they are good sized.

pricey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got given 40 odd today, all caught on a kayak off of southbourne beach, all fillited and ready to eat tomorrow night, going to go out thursday so I can get some to smoke.

I thought there was a recipe for smoked mac pate in the DB but I cant find it anywhere

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of yesterday afternoon into evening, Chesil Beach, spinning from the shoreline. Not a bite for any of the 50+ rods out there. Including mine.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The couple of times I've fished from the shore I've not caught anything or seen anyone land anything.

What kayaks are you successful bods using?

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 11 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a 'feelfree nomad' (great name eh) It's not a proper fishing kayak but it was a bargain I picked up when the outdoor pursuits centre were auctioning off their older kayaks.

It's not kitted out for major expeditions but it's stable and gets me a few hundred yards offshore with a boat rod and a line of feathers.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 11 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Caught 15 from the kayak today, no idea how long they have been up here but they are good sized.

Same spot yesterady, slightly more towards full tide, a far windier day and I only caught 1, and a sandeel.

Northern Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 11 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackerel fishing been a bit weird this year. Still plenty of fish but only coming up in ones and quite scattered. Only had one day on the kayak where I was pulling up a full string of feathers.

Monki magic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 11 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out on a boat from Looe yesterday getting bait mackerel. Each feather was full just on the drop. Great fishing. Filled a box in about 5-10 minutes with 6 of us.

pricey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 11 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant eat enough of them this week, just gave 80 odd fillets away and we have had them twice this week and going to have them again tomorrow.

Caught from the shore and kayak, full feathers from each location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive