Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How To Make Deer Antler Buttons

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 11 9:24 pm    Post subject: How To Make Deer Antler Buttons Reply with quote

So I put a want on Freecycle and now have 5 deer antlers - one very nice size "shed" and two pairs, each pair attached to a small piece of skull.

Google staghorn buttons and sites are eager to sell completed buttons to me. Google deer antler buttons and it is a bit more helpful - cut apart with hacksaw, polish, drill holes. Or make toggles from the tines.

It turns out that my husband wants me to make the buttons, not him. He'll provide the hacksaw tho.

Before I start - has anyone here actually made buttons? Hints, tips, and advice much appreciated.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 11 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bandsaw will save lots of rsi ,antler is hard ,use a very good hacksaw blade if cutting by hand

a dremel is useful for slots etc

power sander to work the flats from sawn to smooth ,polish with metal polish and a felt mop in a power tool

the dust has a rather special flavour so a mask for sanding etc might be a good idea

working antler with flint is a slow game

buzzy

Location: In a small wood on the edge of the Huntingdonshire Wolds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 11 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
a bandsaw will save lots of rsi ,antler is hard ,use a very good hacksaw blade if cutting by hand

a dremel is useful for slots etc

power sander to work the flats from sawn to smooth ,polish with metal polish and a felt mop in a power tool

the dust has a rather special flavour so a mask for sanding etc might be a good idea working antler with flint is a slow game

I have read, though can't confirm, that antler dust is something you definitely don't want to have in your lungs. I should certainly get an efficient mask, if I were you.

Henry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive