links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best Mid-Price Dog Food - Suggestions?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Best Mid-Price Dog Food - Suggestions? Reply with quote

My dog has been happily eating Gusto for many years - she enjoys it and it's very cheap which suited me when my big old boy was alive and eating big meals. Now that he has gone I am considering up-grading my dog food as Cleo has had some dry skin problems recently. An addition of cod-liver oil to her meals seems to have done the trick but she could maybe do with a change of food.

Any suggestions please? I am not in the Arden Grange/James Wellbeloved budget range but can afford more than the £7.50 per 10kgs I currently pay.

12Bore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harringtons, currently £5 for 5Kg sack at Morrisons.

T.G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shepherds Choice or vigour aren't too bad Dr johns silver was what we fed our danes at one time, but we feed a mixed diet of tripe, barf as well as dried complete food.

Vigour, is around £9.35 for 20kgs iirc and Shepards choice £9.20 both zero rated if you mutts a working dog.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chudley's Working Crunch at £14 for 15kg seems to suit Milo.

sueshells

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you mutts a working dog.

Don't make me laugh - she is a Poodle - I have to manicure her nails every Monday!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't check....yet

sueshells

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously - thanks for the suggestions, I will have a look at all those - they are all pretty good prices. She has done well on the Gusto but her coat is a bit lacklustre. As Poodle coats are a nightmare anyway she could do with a bit of condition on it.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iams for best store cupboard food ,for a multiface pack on a limited budget i would go for working dog mix from the local ag merchants ,the "best"mix is usually very nice

meat ,sell by date or bogof meat can be very cost effective,
freegan food for mutkin is a good idea i like a varied diet

buttered toast no jam please and i like meat ,nice man has meat

love ki ,ps my toes are not made for typing

sueshells

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 12 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iams is a bit pricy - plus I am not sure about their testing methods, have heard dodgy things about them in the past.

I will check out the ag merchants and have you tried typing with your tongue if your toes are not up to the job?

I tried her on a raw meat diet but although I introduced slowly it upset her stomach. (Ironically my daughter's two tiny lapdog Toy Poodles did very well on it).

She gets my left over meat or trimmings but they have to be cooked. But then I don't usually eat raw meat.

ninat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta Pet Maintenance
about £30 for 15kg. my dog does well on it . she's 18kg and a bag lasts for weeks.

Just checked the price on line and my local feed merchants is charging loads more then internt suppliers- looks like I'll be doing some online shopping!

12Bore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sueshells wrote:
iams is a bit pricy - plus I am not sure about their testing methods, have heard dodgy things about them in the past.

I will check out the ag merchants and have you tried typing with your tongue if your toes are not up to the job?

I tried her on a raw meat diet but although I introduced slowly it upset her stomach. (Ironically my daughter's two tiny lapdog Toy Poodles did very well on it).

She gets my left over meat or trimmings but they have to be cooked. But then I don't usually eat raw meat.

There are some very disturbing images on the web involving this company's "testing" methods. I would feed my beagle sawdust and worms before I would touch their product with someone else's bargepole.

T.G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sueshells wrote:

Don't make me laugh - she is a Poodle - I have to manicure her nails every Monday!

poodles I believe were once a working breed... it's zero rated for vat I don't think you have to prove you have a working breed of dog let alone that the working breed of dog actually works...

And if your dog is anything like my late mothers poodle I get your point

pyrotech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add Wagg to the list, I've had working trial (Shutzhund) Rotts for over 20 years, and used the working formula for ages, then when the dog retires switched to the normal then senior.

they have quite a decent range.

we have also fostered many large breeds and they have all been fine on it.

I've have not in the last 14 years had to claim on my insurance, its cheap compared to most other feeds, its avaliable from tesco.

The thing about working varieties of the dog foods are they contain higher protein levels, if you have a normal household dog, I'd suggest you stay clear.

Katieowl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a complete working dogs food for my two staffies. They really like it and it's very cheap - £9 for 10 or 15K (the phrase working dog, always makes me thing of working girls and amuses me! easily amused by my own admission)

Kate

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.G wrote:
sueshells wrote:

poodles I believe were once a working breed... it's zero rated for vat I don't think you have to prove you have a working breed of dog let alone that the working breed of dog actually works...

And if your dog is anything like my late mothers poodle I get your point

I'm all for a bit of tax avoidance but I gather it's is relevant if you have a working dog. Working dog foods are aimed at dogs that burn a lot of calories, if they don't they might get fat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive