About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Best Mid-Price Dog Food - Suggestions?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have central heating, and mine get plenty of exercise, so I figure they burn it off. They've been eating it for over two years and not put on weight.

Kate

kirstyfern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrotech wrote:
I'd like to add Wagg to the list, I've had working trial (Shutzhund) Rotts for over 20 years, and used the working formula for ages, then when the dog retires switched to the normal then senior.

they have quite a decent range.

we have also fostered many large breeds and they have all been fine on it.

I've have not in the last 14 years had to claim on my insurance, its cheap compared to most other feeds, its avaliable from tesco.

The thing about working varieties of the dog foods are they contain higher protein levels, if you have a normal household dog, I'd suggest you stay clear.

Wagg is good and cheap and they deliver if you order direct online

or Skinners field and trial - maintenance VAT free and lower in protein than other working dog foods.

and a poodle should be a working dog - my friend took his to a gundog scurry and won!

Rusticwood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To confuse things a bit more

Alpha worker maintenance £9.99 for 15kg

kirstyfern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 12 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a local pet shop with your dog and let him / her try out all the samples

Castle Farm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the amount of crap you have to pick up that makes a feed value for money.
The cheaper the feed the more waste there is.

I feed my dogs (working) on frozen raw tripe (defrosted) and Dr Johns Silver.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusticwood wrote:

Where's that from?

Rusticwood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Rusticwood wrote:

Where's that from?

Cornwall Farmers

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister in law sells https://www.uk.husse.com/home/ ..our cat loves the cat food...its delivered too.

T.G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
T.G wrote:
sueshells wrote:
if you mutts a working dog.

Don't make me laugh - she is a Poodle - I have to manicure her nails every Monday!

poodles I believe were once a working breed... it's zero rated for vat I don't think you have to prove you have a working breed of dog let alone that the working breed of dog actually works...

And if your dog is anything like my late mothers poodle I get your point

I'm all for a bit of tax avoidance but I gather it's is relevant if you have a working dog. Working dog foods are aimed at dogs that burn a lot of calories, if they don't they might get fat.

We've feed all our dogs a similar diet just various amounts due to size, activity etc. none have ever been overweight even the retired mutts... I guess other factors come into play... most people are sensible and can workout how to adjust a diet.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.G wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
T.G wrote:
sueshells wrote:
if you mutts a working dog.

Don't make me laugh - she is a Poodle - I have to manicure her nails every Monday!

poodles I believe were once a working breed... it's zero rated for vat I don't think you have to prove you have a working breed of dog let alone that the working breed of dog actually works...

And if your dog is anything like my late mothers poodle I get your point

I'm all for a bit of tax avoidance but I gather it's is relevant if you have a working dog. Working dog foods are aimed at dogs that burn a lot of calories, if they don't they might get fat.

We've feed all our dogs a similar diet just various amounts due to size, activity etc. none have ever been overweight even the retired mutts... I guess other factors come into play... most people are sensible and can workout how to adjust a diet.

Sorry, I was going on the advice of the actual makers of the product. Chudleys themselves don't recommend the working crunch for non-working dogs, or indeed working dogs at rest or reduced work.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milo isn't particulaly overweight and that's what he gets. There is a cheaper non-working one too I think.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Milo isn't particulaly overweight and that's what he gets. There is a cheaper non-working one too I think.

Yes there is and unless your dog is working that would probably be best. You could feed the high energy food and cut down the amount given but then the dog would get less than of the other recommended daily nutrients. I expect Chudleys would be only too please to tell you what is the best food, when we've contacted dog food companies they've been very helpful and even sent out free samples.

Rusticwood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 12 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just what the dog does (working or none working ) it's also the breed that counts.
Ours are collie x lurcher and lab x baked bean ( pos collie and lurcher in there) neither are " working dogs " but we were advised to have worker maintanence

sueshells

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 12 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poodles were, of course, bred to retrieve from water. The now somewhat ridiculous pom-poms are usually located on their joints and are supposed to have protected them from arthritis and other joint problems - not sure how true that is but you would definitely have needed to clip most of the coat off a working dog, both because of the weight when wet and also to avoid the velcro-cum-What-a- Mess effect. I don't think my dog would take to working - I have to practically carry her over puddles - the effort she makes to avoid getting her paws wet........

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 12 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive