Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Deposit for downsizing.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 
 Message
onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 838

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 12 11:26 am    Post subject: Deposit for downsizing. Reply with quote    

I've got a plot of land lined up - got a meeting with architect next week - if that is positive then my house is going on the market.
Selling my house will release enough equity to fund the build etc. I have enough 'cash' to fund the buying/moving expenses but at some point will have to find money for the deposit.
I've looked at loans and resurrecting my mortgage.
I've heard of deposit gaurentees but can't find much info.
Any advice on what products to look at / people to see ?

vegplot



Joined: 19 Apr 2007
Posts: 19919
Location: Ynys Môn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 12 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

A good financial adviser is essential. Find one before you make an serious commitment with money. They could save you a great deal of money and/or heartache.

I know of one in our area and I'd recommend him to you but not sure where you live.

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 838

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 12 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

vegplot wrote:
A good financial adviser is essential. Find one before you make an serious commitment with money. They could save you a great deal of money and/or heartache.

I know of one in our area and I'd recommend him to you but not sure where you live.


I'm about 200 miles away.

Dooh ! This has explained it to me http://www.fridaysmove.com/property-law-blog/conveyancing-insider/14/07/2011/buying-freehold-house-part-iii-%E2%80%93-conveyancing-exch
Nothing to worry about.

Not had to do the property chain thing before. Wasn't planning on finding a suitable place for another 6months to a year. So I'm fast having to research and learn.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 24464
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 12 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

onemanband wrote:
vegplot wrote:
A good financial adviser is essential. Find one before you make an serious commitment with money. They could save you a great deal of money and/or heartache.

I know of one in our area and I'd recommend him to you but not sure where you live.


I'm about 200 miles away.

Dooh ! This has explained it to me http://www.fridaysmove.com/property-law-blog/conveyancing-insider/14/07/2011/buying-freehold-house-part-iii-%E2%80%93-conveyancing-exch
Nothing to worry about.

Not had to do the property chain thing before. Wasn't planning on finding a suitable place for another 6months to a year. So I'm fast having to research and learn.


I see what you mean now, I thought you weren't going to be part of a chain.

Your solicitor should also be able to advise you and as the article you mention states you don't have to agree to a 10% deposit. As the buyer doesn't get their paws on your deposit until you complete it shouldn't matter too much I would have thought if it's less than 10%.

Croatia Keith



Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 23
Location: Croatia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 12 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Sounds great and good luck with the project. We eventually gave up looking for our ideal plot in the UK years ago and moved abroad instead.

What sort of house are you hoping to build?

digit



Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 88
Location: Neath,South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 12 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

We used these, very helpful and got us a good deal, worth a phone call.
http://www.buildstore.co.uk/finance/selfbuildmortgages.html

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 838

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 12 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Croatia Keith wrote:
Sounds great and good luck with the project. We eventually gave up looking for our ideal plot in the UK years ago and moved abroad instead.

What sort of house are you hoping to build?


I wouldn't say this plot is ideal / my dream plot, but you have to be realistic given funds and location. The downside of this plot I can live with.
Won't go into too much detail or post pics until it's 100% definite - but what I will say is I've allways wanted a stable home life

onemanband



Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 838

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 12 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

digit wrote:
We used these, very helpful and got us a good deal, worth a phone call.
http://www.buildstore.co.uk/finance/selfbuildmortgages.html


Thanks. Bookmarked just incase.
Think I've got my finances sorted out now.
My difficulty is I have limited funds before selling, but have sufficient equity once house is sold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright © 2004 marsjupiter.com