Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Rosatom s offer to build the new reactors.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 12 10:36 pm    Post subject: Rosatom s offer to build the new reactors. Reply with quote

Rosatom the builders of Chernobyl have offered assistance to build the new reactors at Anglesey and Gloucestershire,since the German companies have pulled out.
Bearing in mind,its only a few weeks back,the last farm in Snowdonia had the all clear after the radiation fall out from Chernobyl.

Do we have confidence in a company like this?

Also recently ,the prize of 1million has come back on the table for a carbon capture program for clean coal technology,bearing in mind,in the next 5yrs,8 coal fired power stations are coming to the end of their lives,and the time scale to build a Nuclear reactor is way beyond that,and the output of wind power is a spit in the ocean,

Do you think of the big boys in power,that the penny has finally dropped,that the destruction of the coal industry in the 80s/90s has put us in this position,and the thought of the lights going out,is getting to close.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm .

my nuke reports are in the archive .
i wish it was safe nearly free energy

i would rather iron me feet than trust a" russian nuclear company" 3 big red flags in one go

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having checked i have lots more info on nuke but 4 gig in one go is a bit much

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recon that is easier

bagpuss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the company so your concern may well be justified but the blame for Cheynobyl I think can be left squarely at the governments feet for decided to test their emergency shut down proceedures on a live reactor

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this chap runs the firm

you decide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Kiriyenko

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it Chernobyl was much more of a management failure than a plant failure.
e.g. if you do systematically turn off just about every safety feature, and then recreate a meltdown scenario, then you get what you ask for

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the cost for developing a new reactor at Wylfa is going to be in the region of 8 billion pounds. It occurs to me, that if a similar amount was to be spent on safer greener energy, then we'd really be cooking with gas, or possibly not, depending upon what the boffins, given the investment, might develop.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the legacy of the soviet programmes is huge ,they cant tidy their own stuff ,fox henhouse etc .the hns of russian nuke activities has a historical record second to none .

russian commercial activity is controlled in a way that puts the mafia into division 4 ,it dosnt get reported much cos journos get shot enemies filled with polonium210 or a carbomb surprise

from the rosebud episode

Joey Ramone: I'd just like to say this gig sucks.
Johnny Ramone: Hey, up yours Springfield. One, two, three, four!
Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday Burnsy.
The Ramones: Happy birthday to you!
C.J. Ramone: Go to Hell you old bastard.
Marky Ramone: Hey, I think they liked us!
Mr. Burns: Have the Rolling Stones killed.
Smithers: But sir, those aren't--
Mr. Burns: Do as I say!

ummm spooky

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but no.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong this company building uk power stations probably isn't a good idea but that isn't because of Chernobyl

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
As I understand it Chernobyl was much more of a management failure than a plant failure.
e.g. if you do systematically turn off just about every safety feature, and then recreate a meltdown scenario, then you get what you ask for

the big pop was not the only major incident with that type of reactor ,one af its siblings had a partial meltdown a few years before but got patched up ,another one of very similar design had caught fire ,but not too badly ,in cumbria long before those were built ,so was it wise ?.yes cos that type of boiler makes a fair bit of plutonium as the graphite is quite good at moderating neutrons even if it has a habit of catching fire

design was a problem but group stupidity helped a lot with the "safety test" at Chernobyl

this technology is very dangeroos even at best ,it has a legacy that is not addressed ,until that legacy is sorted it would be daft to add to it

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 12 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a,few thoughts from the usa

https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/13/nuclear-industry-us-welfare

Shane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 12 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rosatom s offer to build the new reactors. Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Rosatom the builders of Chernobyl have offered assistance to build the new reactors at Anglesey and Gloucestershire,since the German companies have pulled out.
Bearing in mind,its only a few weeks back,the last farm in Snowdonia had the all clear after the radiation fall out from Chernobyl.

Do we have confidence in a company like this?
The problem at Chernobyl was caused by the design and the operation, not the construction.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 12 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the basic construction possible saved it from being a lot worse .when it melted after the bang the fuel liquified and ran out of the graphite moderator therefore reducing the intensity of the fission from slow neutrons and the mass concrete under the reactor held the hot blob before it hit the water table and went postal with chemistry and steam .

still a very moody way to boil water ,some reactor designs are much safer and use failsafe design rather than yield of plutonium as the basis

as an aside the uk holds about 500 tonnes of plutonium 239 (maybe 1 tonne is weaponised to arm the entire uk nuclear "deterent") the rest needs guarding from accident or misuse for at least half a million years

the waste from making it is many times that amount in various forms and places ,for instance the beach at dounrey was a mistake but the irish sea and the deep atlantic etc were deliberate

these lads have acted like fly tippers at times

.hanford https://news.opb.org/article/questions_remain_about_hanfords_waste_treatment_plants_mixing_tanks/

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=145326474

i prefer jr ewing to mr burns

Last edited by dpack on Sun Apr 15, 12 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive