Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
BBQ's - seasonal honest!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 7:24 pm    Post subject: BBQ's - seasonal honest! Reply with quote

Only really seasonal because I want to get husband one for his birthday. He hankers after a Weber Kettle... are they really the best? Which? don't seem to think so.... any thoughts? We have several small cheap things and I want to get him something nice that will last with a hood and temperature control and the like. Has to be moveable as we hope to move house in the future.

Oh and sorry I've been absent recently - life manic work have put me back on shifts and I'm struggling but looking for another job... ho hum we'll survive....

Thanks - I know I can trust you and husband won't see this either!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always cynical about Weber's but once you get used to them they're brilliant.
(I don't have much faith in Which reviews.)

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webers are excellent. We have a big kettle one, which is great if you want to cook for lots of people - but generally we use this one. If you find any where in the Uk that stocks them let us know though - they seem to have stopped importing since we bought ours, and after many years of heavy use it needs replacing.

nats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I love the look of those Jamanda, but would they do for a party? We don't often do small BBQ's!! Though perhaps we would if we had one of those. We have a very small fold up thing for taking camping... I was thinking of the kettle variety....

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit plenty on, the whole grill is the same temperature - and it stays at cooking temp for a good long time. It's easy to regulate and is very economical with the charcoal too - no bad points - just difficult to find

nats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be equivalent do you think??

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what they've replaced it with in the UK. The rectangular one is still available over there.

Sean has views....but he'll be working until gone midnight tonight. He'll probably be forthcoming in the morning.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. If you can't find the Go Anywhere then get one of the proper full-sized kettles.

nats

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 12 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He appears fairly forthcoming!!! I wonder if any other households have any other views?!

nats

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 12 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK No one else has any views then?! John Lewis for a Weber it is then. Any recommendations for a good book to go with it for the children to give? With ideas for BBQ's other than chicken drummers burgers and sausages......

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 12 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd on Fire's quite good. Probably out of print though. Food from Fire by Charles Campion's not bad.

Shan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 12 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a Weber kettle and loved it - we have since moved on to the Weber gas BBQ and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE that.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 12 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Weber Kettle - our 2nd! The first was claimed by our son when we went to the US, and for the 3 years we were there we used an inherited gas barbie, which was good for impromptu bbq's but lacked soul - so we bought another Weber to bring back with us - the One-Touch Gold, I think...

I was given a Weber cookbook years ago which is really good.

gythagirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 12 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber Cookbook:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Webers-Complete-Barbecue-Step---step/dp/0600621111/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335255785&sr=8-1

nats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 12 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Weber kettle BBQ it is, still looking on the book I'd like something a bit unusual I think I might take a look at those 2 Sean mentions, can sometimes get them second hand for a good price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive