Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shall I, shan't I ...decisions, decisions
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 12 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!!!

sueshells

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 12 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely - you have to speculate to accumulate, as they say and £25 is worth the gamble. I suspect that if you get your prints through the selection process you would find a ready market for them in London (Bankside IS London?).

vegplot

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 12 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion holds little sway these days

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what was your opinion, VP? Just so we can all ignore it.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
So what was your opinion, VP? Just so we can all ignore it.

I can assure you vp is being asked his opinion on which work I should submit ... currently 10 on the list

EV

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones I feel best represent where my work is at the moment.

I need to choose a 6th.
This is the one I'd like to put in but I'm just wondering whether it is too different from the rest and needs a second one in the same style with it, so 7 which would mean getting rid of one of the above.

Or should I play 6 on it's own like a bit of a wild card?

I've selected 5 without dithering, so not doing too badly

EV

Last edited by earthyvirgo on Mon May 14, 12 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

marigold

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 & 2 pair well, as do 3 & 5. I'd suggest dropping 4 and using 5 & 6 as a third pair. I do like 4 very much though, so maybe you could find another print that pairs well with it. Or use 1& 2 (two streams), two mountains (4 + ?, or 6 &7) and two flowers to show a wider range of subjects?

You were right - asking for opinions just complicates matters! I guess it's like writing something - you need to do a draft (initial choice), then leave it for a while, then edit (make final selection).

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marigold wrote:
1 & 2 pair well, as do 3 & 5. I'd suggest dropping 4 and using 5 & 6 as a third pair. I do like 4 very much though, so maybe you could find another print that pairs well with it. Or use 1& 2 (two streams), two mountains (4 + ?, or 6 &7) and two flowers to show a wider range of subjects?

You were right - asking for opinions just complicates matters! I guess it's like writing something - you need to do a draft (initial choice), then leave it for a while, then edit (make final selection).

Constructive criticism is always useful Marigold - thank you.

It's a matter of having half a selling hat on ( No.1 has sold very well, and I've just heard today that No.4 has sold a 3rd, No. 6 is relatively new and I've sold 2 this year) and making a selection that will catch their eye in terms of good execution of the medium.

Long term, I want to apply for membership of the Royal Society of Painter/printmakers so I'm also thinking of work that they'll remember and say "oh yes, d'you remember that Welsh woman and her waterfalls and rivers"

EV

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like number 4 the most so would always include it. I think your reasons for sticking with the landscapes is very sensible. For some reasons artists are not really allowed to veer off and try new areas without great justification.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer your avatar, rather than 6 or 7

sueshells

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all of them but I think that 4 has a little less visual impact than the others.

No doubt there are as many opinions as there are viewers!

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 12 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sueshells wrote:
I like all of them but I think that 4 has a little less visual impact than the others.

Do you thinks that's because of the scale sueshells?

No. 4 is actually bigger in area than all the rest and I wonder if it appearing smaller here is making it look a bit weedy?

This is it on my website - slightly larger https://www.annlewis.co.uk/g1/cysgodion_cnicht.htm

EV

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 12 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of a battle with a poorly designed online form, my RE Open submission has been done

EV

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 12 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace work what to worry about

sueshells

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 12 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
sueshells wrote:

Do you thinks that's because of the scale sueshells?

No. 4 is actually bigger in area than all the rest and I wonder if it appearing smaller here is making it look a bit weedy?

This is it on my website - slightly larger https://www.annlewis.co.uk/g1/cysgodion_cnicht.htm

EV

Have looked at it on the website and it certainly comes across much better but I still like it less as there isn't the same contrast between light and dark and there is less movement because of the lack of water in this one. Having said that my preference is always for drama but if a buyer wanted a more restful image then this No. 4 would be ideal. I buy art because it touches my soul (and I am a thunder and lightning, rather than a rainbow, person) but I know a lot of people will simply buy pictures because they match the decor! It is impossible to appeal to everyone.

Good luck with your submission.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive