Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Logging in to DS
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:48 am    Post subject: Logging in to DS Reply with quote

If I sign in on the home page I have to sign in again to access the forum and if I sign out from the forum the home page thinks I'm still signed in. It's a bit confusing and seems unnecessary. If it's an unavoidable feature explanatory messages might be helpful .

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are seperate login systems, it "may" be possible to unify them, but I struggled and failed to do so back in the mists of time.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there actually any need to have a login for the main site? I only went to the home page because I'd directed someone to DS and I logged in there because the option was available. Then it seemed strange to have to login again to the forum. Appropriate messages would make it less confusing if two sign-ins are essential, and is presumably the easiest option (apart from just leaving it as it is and fielding the occasional query, of course ).

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to log in to the main site if you want to submit articles, which was really the whole point of the place in the first place.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
You need to log in to the main site if you want to submit articles, which was really the whole point of the place in the first place.

Fair enough, but is that still relevant? As far as I can see there's nothing informing potential members that that is the case - simply a request to email the editor with ideas on the articles pages (why are there two BTW?) and the same instruction on the Author's Corner sticky.

I'm not criticising, just asking a question and making a suggestion.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The articles are the most important part of the site - without them there wouldn't be anything!

There are two pages atm because of the revamp. The ones that have been reformated are in one place and the ones that aren't finished yet are in the other.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
The articles are the most important part of the site - without them there wouldn't be anything!

I understand that. However articles can be viewed without logging in and new articles are requested to be sent by email, so your explanation that login is required for submitting articles doesn't seem to be the correct. Which means that if it is technically easy, the home page login could be dispensed with, thus simplifying matters for general users. If Mods have to be logged in to submit articles that's a different issue and maybe it could be labeled "Mods login" or hidden from the hoi poloi.

Jamanda wrote:

There are two pages atm because of the revamp. The ones that have been reformated are in one place and the ones that aren't finished yet are in the other.

Thank - I understand that issue now.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a re-label is probably the simplest solution. If we hide it I'll have to add yet another bookmark to my browser or I'll forget where it is.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I think a re-label is probably the simplest solution. If we hide it I'll have to add yet another bookmark to my browser or I'll forget where it is.

Does that mean I'm right in assuming that the home page login is only relevant to Mods?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure. I think that if you've written an article you can go back in and edit it whether you're a mod or not. So maybe just calling it editorial log-in or something would be the way forwards.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 12 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairy nuff. Thanks for taking my point on board. I'll leave it with the Mods and techies to decide what, if anything, should be done.

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically any DS member has been able to submit an article for consideration by logging into the main site. Same goes for suggesting a web link. These days however, potential articles are generally discussed in the forum and/or submitted via email. So in that regard, you're right - the login link is only useful to the publishing group - and indeed we took off the submit article/web links feature on the revamp.

A.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
Historically any DS member has been able to submit an article for consideration by logging into the main site. Same goes for suggesting a web link. These days however, potential articles are generally discussed in the forum and/or submitted via email. So in that regard, you're right - the login link is only useful to the publishing group - and indeed we took off the submit article/web links feature on the revamp.

A.

Maybe it could say "publishing log-in". The impression that it's only for mods is the wrong message. how can we improve that?

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wording could be changed, or the link could be moved away from the main menu and placed on the copyright bar at the bottom.

A.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 12 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:

Maybe it could say "publishing log-in". The impression that it's only for mods is the wrong message. how can we improve that?

Barefoot Andrew wrote:
The wording could be changed, or the link could be moved away from the main menu and placed on the copyright bar at the bottom.

A.

Both suggestions make sense to me, could you do both?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive