Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Liver Pate
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on what you like. Pates, like terrines, can have pretty near anything in them that you like. I go more for terrines than pates, out of choice, but the ingredients in either will normally be similar.

Try adding something like crushed juniper berries or orange juice and zest. Maybe add some redcurrants if you have any in the freezer. I've added elderberries in the past, and that worked well.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four and a half, so probably none of them. We've made burgers using our butcher's mince, which is pretty good. What cut do you reckon for starting from scratch?

Behemoth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea - I pay Hugh to tell me that sort of thing - I'd have to consult the good book.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Four and a half, so probably none of them. We've made burgers using our butcher's mince, which is pretty good. What cut do you reckon for starting from scratch?

Skirt is good, if your butcher has any un-minced.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our eldest loves making burgers she's 4 1/2, we usually use cheap steak, but I add an equal volume of finely chopped mushrooms and onions to the mince.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used shoulder steak when I made mine - nice results but I under-seasoned.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will have if I ask. I put a slosh of gin in the pate because I like the taste of juniper, and thought we had some berries but we didn't.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My basic recipe is equal amounts, weight wise, of butter and chicken livers; take a pat of butter, melt and add a finely chopped onion and garlic if liked. Rinse chicken livers, shake dry, then add to pan until livers only just cooked. Meanwhile melt the rest of the butter, then add melted butter to liver mixture and blend in a blender/processor until the consistency you like. Put in ramekins or one larger dish, leave to set. Can be covered with clarified butter, and/or frozen.
Additions can be cream, dry sherry, marsala, port, herbs, more garlic, finely chopped mushroom, redcurrants, etc.

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I just made pate myself for the first time last night, with the liver left over from the Sunday roast (so only enough pate for 2 rounds of sarnies! A variation on Hughs that I made up all myself

It went like this:
1 chicken liver chopped,
the innards of half a really good pork sausage,
half a shallot,
half a clove of garlic,
fresh breadcrumbs that equate roughly to the half sausage in volume,
half a tsp butter,
a tsp of cream,
a good glug of milk,
a little glug of white wine,
a grind of salt,
2 small sage leaves and a wee bit of thyme

Fried the finely chopped shallot till soft, added the milk and cream and breadcrumbs, stirred, turned off the heat and let stand for 5 mins.

Put the whole lot in a blender and whizzed it till smooth, put it in a buttered ramekin, put a saucer on top and baked it in a bain marie for 45 mins.

Pressed it while cooling. The only thing small enough to press it in the ramekin was a cup full of water!

It's the best pate I've ever tasted and it's all gone now

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed that making pate is such a new thing to some people here. Do you make terrines?

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not new to me, I've been doing it for years. Never made a terrine at home, but made lots of various types when in the profession.

Silas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the river cottage one for christmas bash . It was a bit strong = I used pig liver, next time I will use lamb I think.

Good though, my brother could not get enough of it. Like the idea of cyanne pepper in it, gave it a bit of a kick!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
Not new to me, I've been doing it for years. Never made a terrine at home, but made lots of various types when in the profession.

Not new to us either, but rather more unusual than it ought to be

jema

nettie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
I'm amazed that making pate is such a new thing to some people here. Do you make terrines?

Some of us are mere whippersnappers hun!!! And others relatively recent converts . Not tried a terrine yet, but there's only lil' old me to feed

Last edited by nettie on Wed Jan 05, 05 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 05 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made chicken liver pate last christmas, didn't really like it but everybody else said it was great

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive