Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How can you test

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 9:30 am    Post subject: How can you test Reply with quote

To see if a fabric is 100% wool? Anyone know a way? Got something I want to dye that is supposedly wool but I think it's a wool blend.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% wool dissolves in bleach. Anything that doesn't dissolve isn't wool.

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wool dissolves in bleach (seriously - that's why you don't put bleach on a favourite jumper however badly it's stained!)
When burnt, wool smells of burn hair & burns to dry ash while Artificial fibres smell of burning plastic and melt to a hard bobble usually.

Cotton & linen burn to ash but smell of burning paper or hay.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, what they said. I generally start with the burn test then move on to bleach if it needs it

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour do you want to dye it? Because a semi dissolved, half burnt pull over always looks good in blue, I think.

Went

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
What colour do you want to dye it? Because a semi dissolved, half burnt pull over always looks good in blue, I think.

I was thinking burnt umber

sueshells

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How can you test Reply with quote

shadiya wrote:
To see if a fabric is 100% wool? Anyone know a way? Got something I want to dye that is supposedly wool but I think it's a wool blend.

If it is a blend it depends a bit on what the blend is. It will still dye (after a fashion) with acid dyes - the wool part - but if the blend is cotton/linen/viscose/rayon you can always re-dye with Procion dyes for an interesting effect! If the blend is synthetic - well, that's a bit different.

I would definitely use the burn test first - that should rule in/out any synthetic content.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus, some wool blends dye fine with machine dylon, its not really designed for wool, but usually gives fairly good reults anyway, and it will dye some of the common blends quite easily. Expect slightly paler shades than you woudl get on cotton though

shadiya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 12 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:

I knew there was something to do with burning, just couldn't remember what! Will start with that as apart from anything else, I haven't got any bleach! Thanks peeps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive