Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Breakdown cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 9:22 am    Post subject: Breakdown cover Reply with quote

Just had my AA renewal notice; always got good service but the difference between my quote and what they are offering new people for the same cover is now just too big, even for a lazy person like me. Do other people just alternate between companies to keep on getting the new subscribers rate? Or have they found a way to stop you doing this? I know there are cheaper companies than the AA and RAC, but on my own on a dark night I want a clearly marked van coming to my rescue and don't mind paying a bit extra for this.

Gillyflower

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried phoning the AA to see if you can get a reduced rate? It's not something I've tried yet but I'm sure others have.

Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneysavingExpert has been recommending AutoAid for years. I had a policy a while ago, which covered me rather than any vehicle, and it meant I could have cover on my car and my motorbike with the same policy, something the others wouldn't do.

It's a bit different from the usual AA, RAC etc.

I never claimed from them, so cant comment on their service though.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they aren't allowed by their regulator to give loyalty or no claims discounts, only new customer incentives (that might be a complete lie, but it's what I was told). So, if you phone up (as I did yesterday!) and ask why new customers are charged less, suggesting that you might look elsewhere, they should reduce your premium to close to the new customer figure. I haven't called them out for years and got over a third knocked of my premium. It's annoying to have to do it, but making a five minute phone call is easier than changing providers. If you call them out a lot, you might not get as much knocked off, but it's worth a try.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get complimentary, i.e. free, home start on mine which I'm sure is a loyalty bonus. I'm also sure AA cover the person, not the car.

Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I'm also sure AA cover the person, not the car.

They do have a 'car' cover, which is nice as it covers you regardless of which car you are in, but still wouldn't cover me on my motorbike as well as my car. No idea why not, as they do both car and motorcycle cover, and I can't drive/ride the car and the bike at the same time.

Likewise, I've not managed to find anyone who insures a bike and car at the same time, in the same way that some multi-car policies exist. And no 'multi-vehicle' discount either

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
I get complimentary, i.e. free, home start on mine which I'm sure is a loyalty bonus. I'm also sure AA cover the person, not the car.

Ditto - I'm also a gold customer now (get me!) with a load of additional free features I don't need. I want cheaper premiums for what I do need, no claims discount and loyalty bonus - not a load of irrelevant add-ons and pretend superiority to mere silver card members. I don't need home start, but can't exchange it for extra money off.

And, yes, my membership covers me as driver or passenger in any car. Which is worth paying for, I think.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mustang wrote:
MoneysavingExpert has been recommending AutoAid for years. I had a policy a while ago, which covered me rather than any vehicle, and it meant I could have cover on my car and my motorbike with the same policy, something the others wouldn't do.

It's a bit different from the usual AA, RAC etc.

I never claimed from them, so cant comment on their service though.

AFter appalling service from AA about 3 yrs ago, when we really needed them, I moved our policy to AutoAid.

EV

onemanband

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:

Watch they don't charge you for it next year.

I don't have home start - if it doesn't start in the morning it's usually battery, starter or alternator - all of which you often have a bit of warning when they are about to pack up. Batteries usually last the time marked on them (1,2 or 3 year) If you think battery is feeling tired and is nearing it's 'use by' then replace it - you'll only have to do it anyway in a couple of weeks after you've called the AA and missed that appointment or been late for work.

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:

Watch they don't charge you for it next year.

They don't - I've had free Home Start for years. The only time I've "needed" it recently my neighbour (who is a motor mechanic) jump started the car and replaced the battery the next day.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've had my HS for years and never paid or needed it, the only benefit is the fact I don't worry if I brake down withing a mile of my home.

As for the batteries, I get called on by neighbours to 'home start' their cars so certainly not something I'd call out the AA for. Personally I've found lack of car usage along with the modern trend for having things consuming the battery all the time has more of an impact on a battery rather than just it's age.

gillyflower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

Marigold, I just got a Gold card as well and been given all this extra cover that I will never use. Like you I want a discount not irrelevant services.
I will phone them and try and get a discount - how did people get free Home Start? I have it (and pay for it) because my son is on my account and, although he's not had to use it yet, needs his car to get to jobs or he doesn't get paid. He obviously pays his share towards the cost so it's not so bad but still, I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Gillyflower

marigold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 12 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillyflower wrote:
Thanks for that.

Marigold, I just got a Gold card as well and been given all this extra cover that I will never use. Like you I want a discount not irrelevant services.
I will phone them and try and get a discount - how did people get free Home Start? I have it (and pay for it) because my son is on my account and, although he's not had to use it yet, needs his car to get to jobs or he doesn't get paid. He obviously pays his share towards the cost so it's not so bad but still, I don't want to pay more than I have to.

Gillyflower

Sorry, I can't remember how free Home Start appeared on my account. I used to pay for it, probably stopped it when I stopped working and have had it free for some years. I think it's a loyalty bonus, but I'm not sure. Might be worth mentioning that some of your friends get it free.

gillyflower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 12 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement. Why is it I find this sort of thing easier when I have my 'work' hat on, but get all reserved when it's for me?

Well, I actually got round to looking into to this and I got £65 off plus I keep all the free extra cover they've just given me (one part might be useful). It's still a bit more than joining the other lot as a first time customer but hopefully I can use the 'long standing loyal customer' as a bargining tool again next year, and I don't have the hassle of changing.

Gillyflower

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 12 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result - well done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive