Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fixed spool reels

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing
Author 
 Message
Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 11:54 am    Post subject: Fixed spool reels  Reply with quote    

I'm looking to get a decent fixed spool reel to go with a 11'-12' light beach rod. It'll mainly be used for light ledger work and a bit of float fishing, 2-4oz lures and feathers but not aimed at long distance casting of large weights.

Having looked at a few reels some seemed to be aimed at bait fishing and some at spinning but there's no obvious difference (similar design, similar size and line capacity etc).

Is there anything I should be looking out for? As I don't want a huge reel the one's that I'm looking at seem to be aimed at spinning.

Another question, I'm likely to be casting up to 100m, which seems common, so why do all but the smallest reels cope with 3x that distance with a suitable line? That just means you waste 2/3s of the line on your spool doesn't it? I know some might wish to load 50lb line but I would expect them to get a larger reel and still have room to spare.

Tavascarow



Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 8399
Location: South Cornwall
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed spool reels Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:


Another question, I'm likely to be casting up to 100m, which seems common, so why do all but the smallest reels cope with 3x that distance with a suitable line? That just means you waste 2/3s of the line on your spool doesn't it? I know some might wish to load 50lb line but I would expect them to get a larger reel and still have room to spare.
When you hook that monster cod & it decides to run for deeper water you will be glad of the extra line.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed spool reels Reply with quote    

Tavascarow wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:


Another question, I'm likely to be casting up to 100m, which seems common, so why do all but the smallest reels cope with 3x that distance with a suitable line? That just means you waste 2/3s of the line on your spool doesn't it? I know some might wish to load 50lb line but I would expect them to get a larger reel and still have room to spare.
When you hook that monster cod & it decides to run for deeper water you will be glad of the extra line.


Monster dogfish perhaps... I can see why some spare line is essential but 200m or even 400m if I was to use braid would be rather excessive?

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I've always done well with the Okuma AV Avenger series, fairly cheap and bombproof. Have caught plenty of 50 - 100lb stingrays on my AV80s and use the AV65 for pretty much anything. I don't look after my gear very well and these have shown themselves to be 'Northern Boy Proof'.......

For the spool capacity, having lots of extra line means you can trim off the worn stuff and also get snagged/snapped off without having to respool the whole reel.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Northern Boy wrote:
For the spool capacity, having lots of extra line means you can trim off the worn stuff and also get snagged/snapped off without having to respool the whole reel.


That's what I tend to do although I thought you're meant to keep the reels topped up level to get the best out of them?

I've been looking at the Okuma reels, something the size of a 55, although it appears the AVs aren't available in the UK .

tai haku



Joined: 17 Apr 2011
Posts: 472

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Treacodactyl wrote:
Northern Boy wrote:
For the spool capacity, having lots of extra line means you can trim off the worn stuff and also get snagged/snapped off without having to respool the whole reel.


That's what I tend to do although I thought you're meant to keep the reels topped up level to get the best out of them?

I've been looking at the Okuma reels, something the size of a 55, although it appears the AVs aren't available in the UK .


Well you want a decent amount on but I'm always well under the max capacity - as for having too much line the only time you'll ever be aware of not having enough is the one time when you will really really want more!

Northern Boy



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 976

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Ah, well that's that then. Plus also worth noting that my experiences with Okuma boat/conventional reels have not been good.

To be honest (and this applies to the line question as well), unless you're fishing for big conger or trying to cast miles, I really don't think it matters all that much - any half decent set up will do for most of the fish in UK waters - much more important is the rig, the bait, the presentation , the where and the when. Thousands of people will say different tho!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator


Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 25697
Location: Jumping on the bandwagon of opportunism
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 12 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I completely agree about time, place, bait etc being the most important - I've often drawn a blank where others have landed a few.

As there's a bewildering array of reels I've been trying to think what I really need but then can't find anything that's ideal. There's plenty that seem ok but none that stick out from the crowd.

dpack



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Posts: 32664
Location: yes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 12 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

a reel stores line

a reel helps deliver and retrieve line

keep it simple and suitable for purpose

magnet



Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 34
Location: Northumberland
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 12 7:24 pm    Post subject: reels Reply with quote    

when i load my reels i put backing line on first to take up a bit of room on the spool, i just use old line, this line is never cast off the reel the new main line is just tied over the top.
Infact i have used string with insulating tape wrapped over it, its only there to take up space an prevent you filling your spool from the bottom with expensive mainline.For maximum casting distance You want the main line to be level with the edge of the spool
I have a couple of okuma reels and have had no problems from the beach...........Atb Magnet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->