Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
mushroom id

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 5:25 pm    Post subject: mushroom id Reply with quote

Huge flush of these forcing their way through grass clippings on a hedge bank near my house. Can anyone help me with an ID

Untitled by WLA, on Flickr

bubble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very old and very inedible clouded agarics [Clitocybe nebularis]

wildfoodie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ones look old, but I often pick and eat young clouded agarics. They are very tasty but avoided by many, mainly because Roger said so.

bubble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildfoodie wrote:
Those ones look old, but I often pick and eat young clouded agarics. They are very tasty but avoided by many, mainly because Roger said so.
they are avoided by a lot of people because they are perfumed ,sickly,and also when they are about there also many [I mean tens] good edible species that for me are way ahead of them!!!If they were the only ones available I may get used to eating them.

tai haku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
very old and very inedible clouded agarics [Clitocybe nebularis]

thanks. After getting home with a nice "breakfast sized" basket of them I proceeded to rule out all the edible species I could so it's good to know I didn't miss anything good!

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:
wildfoodie wrote:
they are avoided by a lot of people because they are perfumed ,sickly,and also when they are about there also many [I mean tens] good edible species that for me are way ahead of them!!!If they were the only ones available I may get used to eating them.

Horses for courses. Wildfoodie likes them, you don't. But don't they make some people feel sick too?

bubble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
bubble wrote:
wildfoodie wrote:

Horses for courses. Wildfoodie likes them, you don't. But don't they make some people feel sick too?
apparently they can make some people ill, no one has ever tested whether its psychosomatic or a chemical reaction .I've never got as far as tasting because of the smell!!![I eat 66+ different kinds of wild mushrooms]

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's edible, but does anyone know what this could be?

tai haku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 12 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubble wrote:

apparently they can make some people ill, no one has ever tested whether its psychosomatic or a chemical reaction .I've never got as far as tasting because of the smell!!![I eat 66+ different kinds of wild mushrooms] [/quote]

I thought they smelled quite nice raw!

bubble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 12 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
I don't think it's edible, but does anyone know what this could be?

if its growing off a dead tree stump it could be a Pluteus possibly a P.cervinus

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 12 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was on a dead stump. Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive