Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
FreeCycle
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the Guildford and London groups and have also asked Freecycle if they can set up a Kingston Upon Thames and surrounding areas group, as not everyone has transport to be able to travel into London or Guildford. I've yet to hear from them about it, but I have used the Guildford Freecycle in the past, to get a double bed for my poverty-stricken housemates.

Like Bugs, I don't have anything of any value to give away now, but last year I re-homed an MP3 player and a laptop, 'cos they were just sitting around cluttering up the house.

I love Freecycle for it's ability to keep useful stuff out of landfills, and the community spirit it engenders.

mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
It annoys me intensely now. I've offered three things which have attracted interested. Agreed a time to collect and on all three occasions the freecyclers failed to turn up.

We've now been instructed not to use 'first come first served' as this discrimates against those who can't log on at work. But what about those who can't log on at home?

You're then meant to choose who's worthy of your item from the list o respondees. When expressing an interest I don't know whether I need to plead a convincing case of why I'm worthy or just say "I'm interested if its still available". I've only been succesful in aquiring some plant pots, the donor will be getting his Christmas sprouts as a thanks. I still apply first come first served.

deepest sympathy with those who didn't turn up - that is just plain rude!! Yerah things happen but anyone can make a a phone call to explain!!
Main thing about freecycle is keeping stuff out of landfill - freecycle doesn't have an offical policy about "who is worthy"...
official freecycle freecycle even lets dealers and resellers request stuff so long as they are above board and their wanted add makes this clear that they are asking for resale - though hiding the fact you are reselling is a blacklisting offence!
but if stuff goes to a needy reciever well thats a bonus in my book!

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more annoying I emailed them afterwards offereing to rearrange and they didn't even bother to reply.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just popped on to have a look and this is what some are doing now:

"Please guess the number I'm thinking of from 0 to 100. Whoever is
closest gets them. I'll decide on Tuesday night."

Which is fairer than pleading!

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen anything in the rules against first come first serve and I would not want to try and moderate my group in such a micro managed way.

If you are giving stuff away, you decide the rules!

giraffe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big user of freecycle. So far we have given away a 22 inch tv and video, a writing bureau, some old videos, an electronic keyboard, a set of crystal wine glasses and a huge box of books.

We have received an old mobile phone handset (after mine accidently went in the washer ), a composting bin, demijohns and brewing equipment and very recently an old apple mac computer for my sister-in-law to be who has M.E.

I think its brilliant. I still use first come first served.

However does anyone get annoyed by the posts saying things like "does anyone have a spare top of the range digital camcorder lying around?" I think its really cheeky!

Behemoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 05 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are concerns that some people fish for items to then sell on ebay.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 05 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We havent seen anything like that in ours, I did once post to ask if anyone had an old circular sock machine, but I wasnt really expecting the answer to be yes! We tend to moderate the first post from new members on ours which has possibly prevented silly posts, and we havent seen any rules about how to work out who gets what. Where I've had more than one response I've just gone with what seemed like the best rehoming of the item. Have to admit I'm slightly surprised to hear people have had bad experiences with freecycle

Mat S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently listening to a 'new' stereo acquired last night courtesy of Freecycle. Cd player doesn't work but I've connected another - last nights 'take it apart and look for obvious problems' session didn't bear fruit..

jamsam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 05 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just joined up, i was amazed to see 71 memebers in the county...i shall go and have a rummage ...

puffedpride

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 05 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to think that unscrupulous types may get freecycle freebies to then sell on e-bay etc - but at least that is another example of re-use, and better than landfill anyday. Who knows, they probably give the proceeds to Greenpeace!

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 05 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamsan - I don't supppose you joined up to the aberystwyth one. there are 88 members now. Very oddly the first time I used it for something I wanted I also discovered that he wanted something from someone else in my tiny village. So i took it along with me when I went to pick up my fantastic push mower.

I have put a lot of things on the site but no-one has wanted them yet... (I think I will have to go away and think about my life at this point!)

Behemoth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 06 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah - succesfully received 5 large 'Forster Jars', Kilner type, so a bit of bottling in the offing.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 06 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been giving a lot more stuff away on freecycle and the different tone of emails is increbible from very nice people, to one yesterday who emailed three or four times demanding I rang them to tell them details of stuff

mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 06 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am moderating freecycle group locally now -

we only moderate new members and those who have offended!

in general it is up to you to make your own choiices about who you give to ...

but if someone is harrasing you tell the moderator (s) and they wil issue a warning. The same if anyone seems to be asking for money or reselling without asking etc etc.

its usually 2 strikes and you are out if someone misbehaves!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive