Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Returning waste plastics etc?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 1:52 pm    Post subject: Returning waste plastics etc? Reply with quote

I have got an idea in my head that legally, suppliers of products eg supermarkets have a responsibility to take back packaging for recycling.

Can anyone tell me is this is actually the case? Does it just apply to exterior packaging? Is it legally binding or voluntary? If it is legal, can someone point me in the direction of the appropriate bit if legislation?

Thanks.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Returning waste plastics etc? Reply with quote

VSS wrote:
I have got an idea in my head that legally, suppliers of products eg supermarkets have a responsibility to take back packaging for recycling.

I fear that is wishful thinking... but you have reminded me of something...

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc you can leave excess packaging at the checkout but not necessary packaging that you take home.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco's is encouraging people to leave it at the till.

The local recycling collections now take more types of plastic than they did before.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
Iirc you can leave excess packaging at the checkout but not necessary packaging that you take home.

I wounder what would be considered excess? To me most of it is excess.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I think it's whether you will take it away without it, so in theory you could empty beans into a bucket & leave the tins.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:

I think it's whether you will take it away without it, so in theory you could empty beans into a bucket & leave the tins.

Fair point and I suspect you'd get some plonkers doing it.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:

You'd have to be a plonker to give tins away - I save them up & weigh them in as scrap, but then I am from Yorkshire.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob R wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
Rob R wrote:

You'd have to be a plonker to give tins away - I save them up & weigh them in as scrap, but then I am from Yorkshire.

I'm saying nothing on that last bit. Never thought of saving them and weighing them in. I just pop them in the recyc. Do you get a good return?

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£160/tonne last time, so 16p a kg, good enough for me

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad at all Rob. Local councils must make a packet.

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:
That's not bad at all Rob. Local councils must make a packet.

No they just save money by not sending it to landfill. It still costs them to collect and process them.

I once weighed some tins and at £150/ton (or thereabouts as it fluctuates) they worked out about 1/4pence - 1/2pence each.
Hardly worth collecting, but that said I also throw my tins on my scrap pile rather than in council recycling bin.

baldybloke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my recycling bins out once in a blue moon. I just don't buy stuff with packaging. My local butcher sells meat in plastic bags or greaseproof paper and I buy what veg I buy loose. So there is a few tins that I crush after use, some glass bottles and jars that I recycle and cardboard that I compost.

RichardW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onemanband wrote:

I once weighed some tins and at £150/ton (or thereabouts as it fluctuates) they worked out about 1/4pence - 1/2pence each.
Hardly worth collecting, but that said I also throw my tins on my scrap pile rather than in council recycling bin.

It soon adds up over a year. I'm even saving all the nails, screws, bolts & brackets that I remove whilst working that are not reusable.

onemanband

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 13 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardW wrote:
onemanband wrote:

It soon adds up over a year. I'm even saving all the nails, screws, bolts & brackets that I remove whilst working that are not reusable.

Yep just like a piggy bank - well half a dozen piggy banks - copper, brass etc
I have a swivelly 4inch dia magnet on a stick (an old magnetic vehicle inspection lamp base) . I made it to pick up the nails whilst I did my demolition, so I wouldn't get punctures. Is ace for removing nails from ashes - dunk in bucket of ash and remove nails by the kilo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive