Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Caravan wood stove installation question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 10:41 pm    Post subject: Caravan wood stove installation question... Reply with quote

Hi peepz,

I'm installing a wood stove in our caravan, I've installed our hearth and am now wondering what to put behind the stove to reflect the heat.

I've looked into stainless steel sheets, but it would prove a tad expensive and I've thought about fireboard, but again it seems a tad expensive.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of wood stoves in caravans and what you used behind the stove.

I've thought about using tiles (as we have loads from previous renovation work) but I think I would still need some kind of fireboard behind them I think to protect the main caravan wall.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Rob R

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 10 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some second hand stainless sheets and got them bent to go along the two sides it was against the wall and also up behind the flue pipe then bent to cover the ceiling with a hole through the middle for the flue. It's worked well- only thing I'd do differently is more steel above the stove level to act as a splashback. The stove is at least 6 inch away from the steel.

RichardW

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used proper fireboard. Its about £10 per 1/2 sheet & we used a full sheet. We did behind & the side where it is near a cupboard & behind the flue to the roof & around the flue on the roof. Make sure you have a big gap round the flue in the roof. Our twin wall needs 65mm clear space some need more & single flue needs a LOT more (think 250mm or more & then line the gap edges with more fireboard).

If using stainless I would fit battens so that the steel is not touching the wall behind or the heat will pass straight through, leave the top open so it can vent / cool.

We did ours well & have no problems, a friend did not listen & set their van roof on fire TWICE.

cassy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the back of our stove, we've got a single row of 60x60cm concrete slabs screwed to wooden battens giving a 3cm air gap. The slabs got hot last winter, but the wall behind was barely warm. Of course, it will depend on your stove and how much heat you've got belting out.

We haven't got anything higher up the wall though and I think we'll be getting some fireboard, to reflect more of the heat into the room, as much as anything.

The twin wall chimney goes through a ventilated register plate that holds it away from the ceiling and roof timbers.

We based ours (loosely) on the building regs as although it wouldn't pass, we wanted to get as near as we could to best practice. There's useful info there about air gaps, distance from chimney to combustible materials etc.

Freedom_Thoughts

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies peepz, very much appreciated.

I've found somewhere to get some stainless steel deflector sheets from now, came across a guy called the Windy Smithy, he's got a very informative website and some great pics of peoples installed stoves and all the surrounds etc.

cheers again

Rob R

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is a Windy Smithy stove, a wonderful bit of kit.

johnmclean66

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 13 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all ,ive just done a post on this subject and posted it on the website under new posts,please see it for any info that may help,john

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive