Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
how much should a porch cost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 13 2:18 pm    Post subject: how much should a porch cost? Reply with quote

Which I know is obviously a how long is a piece of string question so vague estimates are OK.

We want to add a porch to our house, currently the front door opens straight into the kitchen which is a pain in the proverbials. There is already a roof over the front door as part of the garage so we're not extending the footprint of the building at all. The area we want to enclose is about 3.2m x 1.8m which is above the area normally allowed without planning permission but because it's already in the building footprint we'ver been advised that it's OK. We want double glazed hardwood with as much glass as possible. It will (probably) reuse the existing roof but have a new base. So really we're just enclosing the existing portico with doubleglazed units.

The first estimate we had came in at about £14000!. OK That's just their opening offer but the suspicous bit is that it worked out as £2500 / m2, which is coincidentally the same price per square metre they quoted for a conservatory which involves a lot more work (elevated piers, excavation of existing patio, suspended floors, glazed pitched roofing, cavity wall to one side etc.) which makes me think that all the guy did, for all his acting, was measure the area and multiply by £2500.

So what would people expect a reasonable cost to be?

JohnB

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 13 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't checked out the planning and building regs situation yet, but pretty much all I need to build one is some roofing materials, having got some very nice doors and windows on Freecycle!

Nature'sgrafter

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 13 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here for an idea of prices.
https://www.directconservatories4u.co.uk/special-offer
then add labour.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 13 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrt planning, look up permitted development. I suspect you're fine, especially if your under the existing roof.

henchard

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 13 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4100787

but depends on many factors but as a general rule £1000 m2 is not far off for simple extensions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive