Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
woodburner fans
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 13 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen these before, despite having had woodburners for years. The ££ puts me off - are they really worth the cost?
Ours is in the living room, which is off to one side of the house - don't think the heat would spread through the rest of the house anyway - but it is pretty much in the old fireplace.
Advice anyone?

mochyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 13 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our small woodburner (Clearview Pioneer) is in the inglenook of our parlour. The fan really pushes the heat out into the room.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 13 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why Im looking at it - ours is also in an alcove.
Well, Ill do a bit of scouting around.....

pointerbetty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 13 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost £59.99 via Amazon (free postage) and have to say I think it was worth every penny - my woodburner is set back, tucked into a fireplace and so far this year I have not needed the ch on. The box it came in says Valiant but it was supplied via Amazon from Galleon fireplaces. There are cheaper models out there, and very much more expensive ones.

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 13 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just seen a Phantom make one at Trago's for £69.99.

I want one but I aint paying this.

I wonder if John could make one?

Finsky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 13 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to these few years back and kept 'bombing' people who bought them from ebay with messages and asking what they though of their purchase ..everybody kindly answered back and understood the reasons of why totally stranger would message them ...but then the prices were much more expensive.
I bought mine ours nearly two years ago as the prices finally dropped and its been on use almost every day...and what a difference it makes!
We paid about £60 for ours...only time I don't use it when we are on coal..the stove gets too hot for it and the fan is trying 'fly off' to keep itself cooler.

Finsky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 13 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finsky wrote:
I was looking to these few years back and kept 'bombing' people who bought them from ebay with messages and asking what they though of their purchase ..everybody kindly answered back and understood the reasons of why totally stranger would message them ...but then the prices were much more expensive and I decided to wait for while longer.
I bought mine ours nearly two years ago as the prices finally dropped and its been on use almost every day...and what a difference it makes!
We paid about £60 for ours...only time I don't use it when we are on coal..the stove gets too hot for it and the fan is trying 'fly off' to keep itself cooler.

edit to add...whoops...what happened there?...and I can't see 'delete' button neither..

Last edited by Finsky on Fri Nov 01, 13 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 13 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the price is coming down at last --- just a bit more and that might be OH's Christmas present sorted

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cheapest fan so far around £60, then?

Finsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of these...and they are even cheaper now than when I bought it!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Powered-Stove-Fan-Wood-Log-Burner-Top-Eco-Friendly-Gold-Nickel-Black-/261170341062?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&var=&hash=item3ccef724c6
(not the same seller..just the product)

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this!

I recon I can pay for it through the business account as we 'could' use it in our shed, where we work.

chez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rigged up an old computer fan attached to a mobile phone charger, hung it over the fireplace so it sucked hot air in to a length of tumble-drier hose we attached to the ceiling, and funnelled it in to the children's bedroom, when we lived in The House Of Damp. It worked pretty well.

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosh they've come down...bought ours three years ago and it was nearly £100!

Love it though...and haven't noticed it getting too hot when we use coal, it seems fine...pushes hot air all through our park home

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they really make that much difference? just that both our wood burnign stove and the esse, which also runs on wood, are tucked into fireplaces, and keep us toasty warm.

Mr cig fancies getting a fan but that's more as he likes the way it works and the gadget factor - I worry that the flickering movement or potential noise of it will be annoying - is it?

price has meant we haven't bought one, but did see this link ,where the guy makes his own using peltiers

Finsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 13 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky Colour it green wrote:
do they really make that much difference? just that both our wood burnign stove and the esse, which also runs on wood, are tucked into fireplaces, and keep us toasty warm.

Mr cig fancies getting a fan but that's more as he likes the way it works and the gadget factor - I worry that the flickering movement or potential noise of it will be annoying - is it?

price has meant we haven't bought one, but did see this link ,where the guy makes his own using peltiers

I used to have all the same concerns...
So I bought black fan..and as the area on top of our stove is 'in shade'..hardly any movement is visible or nothing irritanting or disturbing anyway.
Noise....barely anything to hear..they truly are quiet. Ours start making little noise when the stove get too hot for the fan and then I just take it down...but it is only with coal.
As for making difference...in our house yes, I can tell difference when the fan is not on as the house doesn't warm us quite same as with fan on. You don't feel any breeze like you would with 'normal' fan..but you kind of feel the heat spreading and 'penetrating' further into room more quicker than without.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive